Best Insulated Wood Fired Smoker

Oaknar

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I purchased a gravity fed smoker a year or so ago but I miss the heavier smoke I got from my wood fired. I live in the high Rockies so insulated is a must(why I switched in the first place).

Looking forward to your responses.

I would say Ironside Smokers but they are in Wisconsin. Only insulated cabinet that I know of that can burn sticks and not damage the cooker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Besides Ironside, like mentioned.
There are other insulated smokers like Peoria. Though burning pure wood isn't the most common method using those cookers.
http://www.peoriacookers.com/custom-cookers/index.html
I modified my insulated vertical cabinet. I removed the insulation as part of that modification. I cook/smoke year round. I find no need for insulation. I cook in single temps often thru the winter. Even below zero at times. I find no need for insulation. Even in my UDS. Which I also can burn pure wood.
Do I burn more fuel in colder temps, yes. A bit more but not that much. I could not burn pure wood in my vertical before my modifications.
Plenty of Brethren smoke year round on there offset smokers. Some have insulated fireboxes. But not the cooking chambers.
But that is my experience.

Another vote for Ironsides. I waited on the list for a few months and out of the blue a Spicewine (Large) became available in my area. For the price I couldn't resist, but an Ironsides Smoker is on my "BBQ Bucket List."

Back