MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C
Default Pics from Yesterday's cook, with fajita semi-success!

Hey y’all. It was a bit hectic yesterday so I forgot to take a lot of pics, but I figured I would share the few that I took of yesterday’s cook. It was only really notable because: 1) I very rarely do ribs on the grill and 2) I tried fajitas again after seeking your advice (thread/cry for help here: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=275250)

I started with some beef skirt that I trimmed but did NOT hit with the tenderizing mallet. Marinated it for a few hours using more or less the Pappasito's recipe that y'all mentioned:

I wanted ribs, but only had a couple of hours to cook, so that rules out the stickburner. Rubbed them in a heavy coat of Bolner's Fiesta Brand Pork Rub and SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama, then put them indirect over some briquettes/mesquite chunks/apple chips. The pics are kinda out of order...this is a pic of the ribs right as they were almost done. 45 minutes nekkid on the grill then foiled for another 45 (yeah, yeah ), and a final 15 minutes to glaze them a bit. I just threw together a basic vinegar/Dr. Pepper/butter kinda sauce to brush on.

Father-in-law loves my grilled chicken, so I added a bird to the party. Dry brined it the night before with Bolner's Fiesta Brand Chicken Rub, SuckleBusters Clucker Dust, kosher salt, and paprika. Total cook time was just under 90 minutes. Every 15 minutes or so I would baste it with melted garlic butter. Also, no beer can in there, just the rack.

At this point, I totally forgot to take pics for the rest of the cook, or of the results, save for one taco that I made with the fajitas. I ran to answer the doorbell while they were grilling, hence why some of them inadvertently came out well done I ate that portion and gave the medium ones to the others.

Thanks for encouraging me to try fajitas again. They came out great as far as tenderness and flavor goes! I will say that there was a tiny bit more pineapple dominant flavor than I was expecting. Guess I'll just keep tweaking that recipe until I get it how I like it. But I'm not completely discouraged about fajitas anymore.
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:

Last edited by TxQGuy; 09-16-2019 at 10:23 AM..
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looks very good to me
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Bob Wiley
is one Smokin' Farker

Dead on!
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Cooks look spot-on to me!

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Everything looks delicious.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #6
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Looks delicious from here!

Keep up the experimentation. Folks 'round here haven't steered me wrong yet.

Enjoy!
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote