Cost of Wood

enorris116

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
How much do you guys pay for a half cord/full cord of wood? I've got a local guy selling a half cord of oak for $60.

How much do you guys pay for a half cord/full cord of wood? I've got a local guy selling a half cord of oak for $60.

I got a full cord of oak for $270. I forgot to mention mine was seasoned, split, and delivered but not stacked.

Last edited:
That would be a fair price around here, probably on the low side even.

$60.00 would be cheap around here too. You might check and see if it is already seasoned or not. At that price, it is probably green?

In the prime season (fall) I pay about $120-140 for a 4x8x16" stack of seasoned Oak and Hickory...thats delivered and stacked.

That is about 1/3 of a cord...or a face cord...or a rick.

Anything less than that is a pretty good price.

$225/cord cut, split, and delivered. May want to check if it's still log length. They forget to tell you that until you get there.

Thanks everyone. Here is a picture of it. Looks like some is split, some is not.

dgRbuMz.jpg

Wood prices vary a lot based on location, but I think $60 per half cord would be considered a good price just about anywhere.

Based on the photo, it looks like it may have been around for a while. Just check to make sure it isn't starting to get punky, and that it still has some density to it. If it feels really light, it may be over-seasoned to the point that it will burn up quickly without making much of a coal bed.

Wood prices vary a lot based on location, but I think $60 per half cord would be considered a good price just about anywhere.

Based on the photo, it looks like it may have been around for a while. Just check to make sure it isn't starting to get punky, and that it still has some density to it. If it feels really light, it may be over-seasoned to the point that it will burn up quickly without making much of a coal bed.

Yeah the more I look at the picture, the more I'm not too thrilled with the color of the wood. I found this guy selling a cord for $150 stacked and delivered and I feel much better about it.

hWTxwIj.jpg

I paid $180 for my last cord of oak.
Pic of wood in post 11 is seasoned, pic in post 15 is not
Larry

Captain Kaos, nice call! I went back and looked at both pictures and sure enough, the wood in #11 looks like it has been around for some while and hence seasoned, while the pile in #15 does look freshly split. #11 may be over seasoned. #15 may have been split a while ago and well covered, I am thinking only hefting (weighing) could really tell.

More on point, what kind of oak? White oak is claimed to be less harsh than red oak. The price seemed cheap either way.

I think a pick up bed stacked to the top would be about 1/3 cord. I pay $65 for that--split oak

Dark color isn't necessarily a bad thing; it could just be well seasoned. Exposure to the sun turns wood gray, and also seasons it out faster. Just check it out closely to make sure that it hasn't passed its peak.

On the other hand, light-colored wood might not be fully seasoned yet, or it may have been seasoned under cover such that the sun hasn't turned it gray.

And by the way, $150/cord stacked and delivered is also a pretty good price. But make sure you're actually getting a full cord, which is 4x4x8 (128 cubic feet). Two standard bed (6') pickup loads level full are a passable approximation of a cord.

Back