Calling all opinions!

Never too hot or cold......wind, rain or both presents a challenge.

Chimney and a torch are my must haves.
Charcoal baskets also really help out....saves fuel, and makes using half spent coals from the previous cook a cinch.

A digital thermometer to read the pit temperature at the grate. Most of the dial thermometers are inaccurate (except for Tel-Tru). The thermometer doesn't give you the temperature where the meat is.

For me, a chimney is a must have. Also a leave in probe thermometer and an instant read. Also critical for me is a good pair of heat resistant gloves that are easy to wipe off. Long tongs and a good spatula. Cooking spray! I could go on for a while but I can’t get by without these.

A digital thermometer to read the pit temperature at the grate. Most of the dial thermometers are inaccurate (except for Tel-Tru). The thermometer doesn't give you the temperature where the meat is.

River Country is just as accurate, half the price and is adjustable. I have five of them and really like them.

The maverick will give you grate temps where your meat is and will also give you the internal temp of your meat.

Thermapen - worth its weight in gold for checking temps quickly

Good, sharp knives

Full / half pan aluminum trays with foil - super handy

Patiience - in LARGE doses........you'll need this to pull it off.

Add...

propane torch with push button start fires and burn off grease.

Heavy duty long tongs.

Accurate (k-type thermocouple) pit temp thermometer

“Cooling” racks to fit half and full sheet pans.

That is the list of nearly essential stiuff I use nearly every cook.

Gloves for big meats, charcoal chimney for the ranch and HeaterMeter for the kamado get used often as well, but I could survive a cook without them without too much pain and suffering.

+ infinity for the Superfast Mk4 Thermapen. It upped my Grilling and Smoking game 100%. Had the original before. Just as good.

A table or surface to work on next to your pit. Wrapping meats, holding grates, thermometer, beer holder!

Back