The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #31
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Costco!!
Weber Smokey Mtn 18.5"
Weber Master Touch 22.5"
Humphrey's Battle Box
Shirley 24 x 50 Cabinet Model
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #32
stangman327
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
I haven't had a Sam's membership in years because it's across town. I do have a Costco membership because there is one close to my house. My only complaint about Costco is they cut the expiration dates so close. Great variety of meats but at my store they are always 1-3 days from expiration on just about everything. If you plan to cook that day or the following day it's no big deal but I dont want to freeze something for 1 or 2 days just to turn around and thaw it out. And I've bought bad meat on a couple of occasions. I got a full refund but didn't like the hassle.

Expiration dates are overrated...seriously.

M1
Hunsaker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 propane smoker
Weber Genesis II LX S-340 Gas Grill w/iGrill probes
Lodge Cast iron sportsman's grill
Masterbuilt electric digital smoker
stangman327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #33
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Costco. Easily. We have memberships to both and I shop at both a ton. The meat at Costco's in my area far surpass sams.
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #34
Blowin' Smoke
On the road to being a farker

Costco 100%. I shopped at Sam's for years...until I found Costco. In my area, the Costco and Sam's were very close, but the meats at Costco were far superior in both quality and price. Now that I've moved, there is a Sam's about 15 minutes away and I still drive an hour to go to Costco.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #35
DanB
is One Chatty Farker

Default Prime??

[QUOTE=DanB;3982389]Hi All How is Costco's prime brisket..Costco here in north Jersey just started carrying Prime brisket..I'm NOT a member ,but if their prime briskets are good I have NO problem joining.
Been getting my Angus briskets at RD. Costco's prime is the same price as the RD ones.

Thanks DanB

Old 04-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #36
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All How is Costco's prime brisket..Costco here in north Jersey just started carrying Prime brisket..I'm NOT a member ,but if their prime briskets are good I have NO problem joining.
Been getting my Angus briskets at RD. Costco's prime is the same price as the RD ones.

Thanks DanB
Superior. That's all I cook now. I do 50-100/year. Case price is awesome.
Molon Labe!
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #37
Forrestbro
Full Fledged Farker

Costco for prime packers, whole boneless ribeye and boneless pork butts. Costco has more organic items. Sam's for full spares and bone-in pork butts. I'll get whole chickens from whichever one has the best deal. Usually RD for beef rib plates when the price is right. I've been checking out GFS too, but I haven't bought anything yet.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #38
stangman327
Full Fledged Farker

I have memberships to Costco, Sam’s and BJ’s and Costco offers the best selection of meats.

Most people probably don’t know that depending on the size of the Costco will determine what meats they stock. For example I have four Costco’s within a decent vicinity of me and the only one that carries full prime packers is the Columbia. Maryland location since I was told it’s a “large” Costco and they move meat faster than the the other locations do.

M1
Hunsaker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 propane smoker
Weber Genesis II LX S-340 Gas Grill w/iGrill probes
Lodge Cast iron sportsman's grill
Masterbuilt electric digital smoker
stangman327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #39
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

I have a sam's in Tuscaloosa they don't carry whole packer brisket..... I went to Birmingham and started getting meat from restaurant depot I was happy until I saw a sign for Costco.... it's a 45 mile drive for me but I love Costco.... its a higher grade of sams to me kinda like going from select to prime beef....

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #40
OklaDustDevil
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Ray

I can't speak to Sam's. I am in the restaurant industry and the co for which I work has the best food scientists/quality assurance folks in the business. They all tout very highly CostCo's Kirkland QA team and food quality standards, and they all shop there, particularly for meat. That was endorsement enough for me, so I'm a regular.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 PM   #41
SlickRockStones
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Gary

Costco>Sam’s. Although I have been getting angus tri tips from Sam’s in Pork Char-o-lot that Costco never carries. We also really love Kirkland ham, both spiral and the applewood carvers. The real meat hoards, the ones that make Bunny flip out on me because of lack of freezer space, come from GFS.
SlickRockStones is online now   Reply With Quote