Sam's vs Costco

bschoen

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Before I moved, Costco was the most convenient to me. I liked their meat department. Now Sam's is the most convenient, but I am not impressed with their meat department. I am aware that there can be a lot of variation by individual outlet, but overall, which company gets the Brethren stamp of meat approval, Sam's or Costco?

I cannot speak about Costco because I font have one abuser close to me, but I will speak to Sam's. The one in Mr area had really good, high quality meat. My only complaint iss variety. I cam usually only the really basic cuts of meat.

In our area we have both with Sam's having 2 in Lincoln and 3 in the Omaha area and Costco having 1 in Lincoln & 2 in metro Omaha. Any warehouse supplier that doesn't carry essential BBQ items like potato salad year round is lacking. Costco doesn't. I've always found Sam's meat to be quite adequate for the price plus they have many cooking supplies at fair prices that I've never seen at any of the Costco's. Good news is Omaha metro is getting a Rest Dept soon.

I've had Sam's for years because it is closer but I'd much rather go to Costco. Prime grade briskets and steaks are the major reason why. They have a lot more to choose from in the Meat department.
One positive for Sam's is the Scan and Go app. It is awesome!

Put me down also for team Costco. Prime Brisket - they are my "Go-to". Also, purchased a prime prime-rib last Christmas for first time. It was cryo-packed and had bones in it. Got home and realized that I'd paid for boneless. It was mismarked. Called them up and visited next day and met up with manager who gave me a $50 gift card for my trouble. They were AWESOME. This was in the Conroe, TX area (North of Houston).

I prefer Costco over Sam's for most things and for a better "atmosphere". But there are some things at Sam's that work well for me, so I have both.

I'm lucky enough to have a Sam's and a Costco within two miles of my house, so I belong to both. I can't get bone-in pork butts at Costco and I can't get prime brisket or St. Louis trimmed ribs or pork belly at Sam's Club....and if they both strike out on something I have a Rest. Depot about 20 minutes away.

Hopefully all the Sam's will have the new meat counters someday. The ones in this area are incredible in terms of price and selection.

I shopped Sam's for years because I had no other options (no Costco's in Arkansas) but now that I'm in Indiana I've made the switch to Costco and couldn't be happier. There's a Sam's near me too and I still have the membership but haven't been in over a year.

I also have both within a 5 mike drive. Costco gets 80% if my business for meats...except bone in butts. I will buy Sams meat if it’s a good deal but prefer Costco.

Now for other items we prefer Sams..so we keep them both.

Thanks everyone.

Let me add, since I was not overly clear. The meat at Sam's is fine, but it is a bit limited in variety. I think that the Costco which I moved away from had much more variety.

I really miss the Smart & Final store, they don't have them here in Georgia, they have great meat, plenty of variety and good prices. The trifecta of a meat department.

Thanks again!

Another vote for team Costco...but...I have to admit...if I'm in a hurry, you can't beat Sam's Club Scan 'n Go. In and out in no time with no checkout line. Also, a fan of GFS here in the Midwest. How does one get the chance to shop at Restaurant Depot?

I recently joined Costco to get some swift st Louis cut spare ribs that I was looking for and Sam's didn't carry them. I like buying st Louis cut spare ribs and Sam's only carries full spares. I didn't like the way the lady at the membership treated me and the ribs were low grade dog food. I bought a case of them and they are really thin and not much meat on them. I can get prime packers at my Sam's, so no benefit there. All of the spices and supplies are the same price at both too.

Team Costco all the way for all the reasons stated and Costco is way more polished as a Store. I think of it as an Upscale Sam’s.

Before I moved, Costco was the most convenient to me. I liked their meat department. Now Sam's is the most convenient, but I am not impressed with their meat department. I am aware that there can be a lot of variation by individual outlet, but overall, which company gets the Brethren stamp of meat approval, Sam's or Costco?

As we don't have Sams (or Walmart) anywhere near here I can only speak to CostCo for my purchases. They're ok but I don't think the flavor is quite as good as some of the smaller grocers (or internet orders). However they're far ahead in the price department. Availability is an issue - especially anything marked prime.

While elsewhere I've had Sams burgers/strip steaks/dogs and wasn't impressed.

The local Costco here is awesome with prime packers, pork bellies and they usually have prime racks of short ribs.

There is a Smart & Final one freeway exit before the Costco so I'll stop there to get low priced bone-in butts since Costco only sells two packs of boneless.

The Sam's by me wasn't as impressive so I went with Costco.

I haven't had a Sam's membership in years because it's across town. I do have a Costco membership because there is one close to my house. My only complaint about Costco is they cut the expiration dates so close. Great variety of meats but at my store they are always 1-3 days from expiration on just about everything. If you plan to cook that day or the following day it's no big deal but I dont want to freeze something for 1 or 2 days just to turn around and thaw it out. And I've bought bad meat on a couple of occasions. I got a full refund but didn't like the hassle.

Back