Why do my butts and briskets smell like fart after cooled down and put in the fridge?

rikun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this sounds kinda crazy, but does anyone else get that sh*tty smell with big meats after they are cooled down?

No matter what wood I use, what cooker I use, or how long I put smoke on my butts or briskets, they pretty much always smell like sh*it after I've cooled down the leftovers (or the whole meats if reheating later on). I think it's the combination of smoke and fat that makes the smell, but I'm not sure. The smell is almost a bit gamy, but more biased on the sh*tty side...

They taste good, the meat is handled properly, it's fresh and apart from the smell there is nothing wrong with my butts/briskets. Also, the smell goes away after I reheat the meat! It's almost like they smell like that only when they are cold. I think it's more pronounced with butts, but it's also present with briskets. A bit different, but still there.

I don't think the smell is there with less fatty meats like pork tenderloin, or chicken. Maybe because it spends less time in the smoker, or maybe because of the lower fat content.

And it's just not me, my wife's nose also agrees on this. I cook with these smokers: several UDS', DIY big baby double drum stickburner and BGE Large.

Try another fridge or just don't smell it when cold? :noidea:

3 years and still looking for wood? :shock:
I've never heard of this. Is this a legitimate thread?

I would have to say that it is something that the animal is eating possibly has a little too much of something mixed in.............?

The OP is from Finland, maybe
there is something in the feed / wood up there that is off smelling.
If it tastes good, I'd fugettaboutit.

I may be way out in left field but when someone starts a thread titled: My butt smells like a fart.......?

3 years and still looking for wood? :shock:
I've never heard of this. Is this a legitimate thread?

Mod Note:

Not everyone posts a lot. Some are happy just reading. Questioning the legitimacy of a thread based on post count is not the Brethren way. If a thread has broken our rules, please report it to the mod team instead of posting several times in the thread.

What is your process of storing the larger meats? Your answer may be there.

What woods are you using? Are you using straight wood or do you add charcoal? I've had a bag of lump in the past that made everything "smell like fart". That one went into the bin.

Bingo for me.
I had some slightly off smelling wood after it was cooked.
Found the bottom of the Charcoal bag was mouldy .
Maybe the OP problem

Mod Note:

Not everyone posts a lot. Some are happy just reading. Questioning the legitimacy of a thread based on post count is not the Brethren way. If a thread has broken our rules, please report it to the mod team instead of posting several times in the thread.
Opinions..........everybody has one.

I'm not eating it if it smell like a fart! Who in the world would even bother to heat it up if it smelled that bad. I've never noticed that smell on any cold butts or briskets.

Back