Injecting bacon fat?

Tendrils of Smoke

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Have a local competition coming up next weekend, that I placed second in brisket in last year. Looking for that extra bit of flavor, to push me over the top. My thought was to mix redered clarified bacon fat, beef jus and dry rub, and inject it into the flat. What are your thoughts?

Sure, why not? I like the taste of Lemon Juice/rub mix injected into my briskets. :wink:

If you decide to do a test cook, I can be in Wylie in about 30 minutes for a taste-test. :becky:

CD

Congrats! I have to admit the injection of bacon fat definitely sounds "over the top" but from what I hear that's what some comps are all about. Glad it worked out for ya though!

Thanks everyone. I used rendered fat from bacon I get here locally from K Bar K Ranch. The fat from this bacon renders much more cleanly than store bought. I strained it out, mixed it with run of the mill Swanson beef stock (half and Half) and added a few tables spoons of my own beef rub.. I injected it laterally across the flat about every inch and a half, then smoked it as usual.

Did you personally like the flavor?

I LOVED it. I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the bacon itself. The flavor the bacon was there, but not at all over powering, and helped keep the flat nice and moist.

I cook slow - 225 on briskets, so the tendency to dry is always there.

I have tried this in the past without positive results but maybe I will give it another go.

Good to hear. Sounds like you had a bit more planning that just injecting grease. Personally, that sounds kinda gross. But the way you processed the fat and mixed it with stock, well now....that sounds pretty awesome.
Congratulations on the 1st place!

Sounds interesting, although if you were 2nd place last year you didn't have far to go! Like you said, a little nudge...

Good job!

Sounds like something I have to try...Thanks for the post!

Back