THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ColdFyre

Knows what a fatty is.
Got a nice looking 16# CAB brisket from Restaurant Depot last Sunday. After I trimmed it up, I took about 2# off the flat since it wouldn't fit on my 18.5" WSM.

Seasoned with some SP and a touch of onion and garlic powder. I've really been enjoying 50/50 by weight of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. I added just a smidgen of onion and garlic powder to this one. Smoked with some cherry for the 1st few hours then oak for the remainder.

My question is, after trying hot and fast (IQ-110 is set for 285) for 11 hours, IT was only at 170. Just about done with the stall it appears. I need to have this ready to go by about 9:30-10am. I'm putting it in a foil tray with it's juices and covering with foil. It's been in the oven @310 now and it seems to be coming up 190 now and rising.

Since I've never foiled one or finished one in the oven before, my question for you is how does this differ from just leaving it on the smoker unwrapped? Just start probing like normal? Take the foil off and let it bark up a little as it approaches 'butta-stage'?

Thanks for the input!

Click pic to embiggun!
just popped on the wsm (7:30 last night)

11 hours in.... pulled off @170 to finish in the oven

I've finished flats in the oven before, (Always at 250) and they came out fine. I start probing at 190. The only time I tried taking the foil off it dried out the brisket. You may have better luck at a higher temp.

^^^same as mentioned. I pull from the pit when the bark was where I wanted in into the oven at 250 and checking the tenderness around 190-195. Never took foil off or butcher paper. Always turned out great.

Cool deal. This thing got to 202 foiled pretty fast. Pulled and probed and feels great. End of the flat cut well. Tastes a little dry but not as bad as others I've made. So far, I'm encouraged. It's now out of the oven, tightly foil wrapped and in a preheated cooler.

If it's dry you need to cook it longer You can not cook it to a Specific internal temp and expect great results, this is where so many of you Brisket rookies get it wrong. Probe Tender in the thickest part of the flat That's it works every time, I have cook thousands of briskets never had it let me down.

Back