Who Else Loves Flat Iron Steak?

Flat Iron is one of my favorites, easy to grill, great steak flavor!

Looks great Neighbor!

Almost always have one or more in the freezer. Super easy to cook and sliced against the grain is very tender. Cooked one the other night with just SPOGOS

Gots to get me SPOGOS. Thanks neighbor!

Touchy because I love tri tip but I hear y'all. :thumb: Like I said it's up there with tri tip for me. Looking killer BTW Mike.

Better then tri tip in my opinion

A month ago Kroger had then at 2.99 a pound.

was a great time to load up the freezer.

I like them better than tri-tip.

22kfpu.jpg

nfmfm9.jpg

I like then better for convenience, but overall I think tri tip has the edge on flavor., although they take longer to cook. Flat irons can have a liverish taste from time to time. I think smoking it kind of avoid that.

ssv3 ... please tell me about the texture of the meat. Is this like a tough chewy cut ? At $8/lb that seems like it's double the price of a costco prime tri-tip. I'll believe you on the flavor. Is it similar to ribeye texture when cooked ? Thanks.

Last edited:
Mike,

It can be tough if you slice with the grain. Slice against the grain and it is a huge difference.

Flat iron comes from the chuck, top blade muscle. So it is generally more tender than a regular chuck steak, but depending on how it is butchered, there is sometimes a layer of connective tissue that you have to remove. If you don't, you will be sorry.

It is a good steak, but it aggravates the H out of me, that cuts, once considered, value cuts, are now some of the priciest. I guess it is just the world we live in.

Might give it a chance just to see the taste ... but it's hard to beat tri-tip at half the price. BTW ... perhaps a SV then sear is in order. I know I get spectacularly tender tri-tip that way.

Our local Fry's (Kroger's to the rest of the world) used to do demos and this was the cut they were using. This has to be over 7 years ago or so, but the demo guy whispered, this is the best value out there, but once the world figures it out it will sky rocket in price. He was so right, normal price was 2,99 lb and often on sale for .99 lb. Sadly those days are gone, but it is a great cut to have in the freezer. quick defrost, season up and toss on a hot grill and slice.

I always go ribeye when it comes to steaks, but I know I really should branch out 'cause there are other great cuts - like this one! That looks fantastic, Sako - all of it. I'll keep an eye out for those - thanks!

I’ve only recently learned that I like flat iron steaks. Not sure I’m ready choose them over a ribeye but they are definitely a solid choice...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back