Bulk oil tote smoker?

kpbridges907

Reaction score
Hi all so I have been using my Oklahoma joes longhorn offset smoker since my I got it as a wedding gift last year. I have gotten a lot more into smoking lately mainly cause it draws out my beer drinking sessions.:wink: but the more obsessed I become with smoking and the more I learn thanks in whole to the brethren the more inadequate my smoker becomes to me, so I have been looking at repurposing about anything and everything I think might be able to get the job done without spending a fortune because up here everything costs a fortune. I work as a oil distributor and every once in a while I get rid of bulk oil totes. My biggest problem is I have had a creative block when it comes to these totes they are just so big I'm not real sure what I can do to it to make it a great smoker. Any ideas?

350 gal bulk oil/antifreeze tote 42"X42" by 48"tall with a 2 1/2" round opening on the bottom side with a removable 32" central opening on top and another 2 1/2" bung opening on top side about 6-9" away from the big 32" opening. I'll try to post a pic thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 123
You need a Smoker; Kit Plasma cutter & a Welder After all It's just Steel mold it. I see a 48 X 42 X 24 Offset looking at me.

Last edited:
Extend the legs, weld in some racks and a heavy offset firebox. It would be a monster for sure.

Should I cut a section out of the middle to make it more narrow? If so I could take that section and mold it into a firebox. Also if I turned it upside down I could use the valve opening as a smoke stack but will it be big enough? Also what do I do with the lid which will be on bottom unless I cut the middle out of it in which case I'll just have to weld a plate to cover up what's left. Thanks again for all your advice keep em' coming.

I'm thinking get two of them. Shorten one down to about half the size and use it for the fire box. Then stack the larger one on top. Connect the two with something like a piece of 12" pipe. Seal off the hole on the top, cut out a big door on the front side, make some shelves and a large stack. Start cooking. Maybe even building a smaller fire box inside the half box so it is insulated.?.?.? Could also off set them on a trailer.

Back