Multiple Cookers and neglect.

Burn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ever since I picked up this OKJ the only time I use the Recteq 590 is to hold at 180 and rest. I just have so much fun with the offset. I also prefer the taste. Hopefully this too will pass. The kettle hasn’t been uses in weeks. I guess I did toss the briskets wrapped in foil in the recteq and cranked the heat up 400 yesterday and then set to 180 for a rest.

Last edited:
Since we're confessing...
My RecTeq is currently sitting completely empty and clean, not a pellet in it. Has been for about 2 months.
Since I bought the fire management basket for the LSG it's been such a pleasure to run that I just use that now. The RecTeq is great (and I have no plans of parting with it) but I do prefer the food off the stick burner.

Outside of that my cheapest piece of outdoor cookware gets used the most....The weber kettle. (I love that thing)

I think I have used my Primo maybe twice this whole summer. :sad:

I'm tired of cleaning mold. Need to sell a few more...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have 4. 1 of 2 kettles need to go. Prob gift to a family member. Nice thing about the pellet is the bride likes to use it. But I can grill on the offset easy on the hot side. Makes it hard not to use it.

Well the rec came in for the turkey needing temps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 255
I’m with you. My wsm and kettle get zero love for the last few years. As a matter of fact I was cleaning them up to sell them. However, I’ve been inspired by you guys to dust and clean them out and give them another go. Last weekend was split rotisserie chicken on the kettle and tbone over RO lump tonight. I’ve owned my kettle the longest (12 years I think). Just so much more convenient with my gasser and pellet; especially with the little ones running around.

Eventually I’ll get an offset but not financially viable now. Then I’ll start this whole cycle again :grin:

I think we just figure out what we can cook great food ob and the others stop getting used. Can’t get rid of the Weber. Lived in a apartment and could cook for two years. First cooker at bought once I could cook again. Might list the reqtec but it gives me the option to keep cooking while holding food.

I find 5+1 is a manageable number
Barrel
Ceramic
Steel
Offset
Pellet
Plus a Tabletop

All fun to cook on, rotating is easy. Cleanup and maintenance accomplished quickly. Minutes not hours.

@burn not a bad idea for resting meat on pellet at 180. ��

…and many of y’all made fun of me a few years back when I sold off my entire arsenal and started all over with ONE cooker. Later became 2 when I added a kettle back into the mix. Sold the kettle last year when we moved to TN, but seriously thinking of adding a kettle or PK back into the mix. Oh yeah, I also have a huge Camp Chef griddle that I used to use the heck out of… but since our move it rarely gets used. Maybe I’ll sell it to fund a kettle or portion of a PK 360. I have become a huge proponent of KISS when it comes to my cooking arsenal. To each their own :)

Which of your remaining arsenal may not make the cut and what would you be left with? Just curious.
Cut:
Red Box, chargriller kettle, Jimmy, bs griddle

Keep:
36 shirley, Abe's insulated cabinet, Mak 1-Star, Weber kettle, barrel house cooker

Sold 5 last year or 2. My mission to try every type has come to an end. I'm positive my Keep list covers every type of cooker I really love to use.

Cut:
Red Box, chargriller kettle, Jimmy, bs griddle

Keep:
36 shirley, Abe's insulated cabinet, Mak 1-Star, Weber kettle, barrel house cooker

Sold 5 last year or 2. My mission to try every type has come to an end. I'm positive my Keep list covers every type of cooker I really love to use.

Might be rough, but thinking you’ll be able to survive with those remaining cookers ;-)

I've been managing to rotate through the herd on a fairly regular basis - except the gasser that's been cold for a year now. It's nice to have the ol' Rec Tec back in the rotation, after fooling around with another pellet grill.

I've been thinking about getting an offset to replace my pellet, but I don't know much about offsets.

I'm not sure I have space for another without voting one off the island.

edit: In summer I've used all four of mine at least once every two weeks, but I'm finding the pellet is getting used less since I've added the billows to my BGE and can more easily control low temp slow cooks.

Since I got my offset, my WSM has seen little love and I love the WSM. I think I'll still for sure use it on things like low heat smoking sausage and bacon for sure. I need to get a belly curing.

Never say never however one thing I really need in a cooker is a hinged lid. PBC was fine without as the lid horse shoe hung nicely on the barrel horse shoe.
Hinged lids are nice

I cut back when we moved and they only ones I have used since are the Yoder pellet, Weber performer, Blackstone pizza, and the 007. Offset has been in storage because I don't have a concrete patio like before so it is grass, gravel, or field.

I'm a fan of the red box cooker - it's so cute... but is a bit tiny. And I'm not one of the "go big or go home" crowd. I used to to think if it's too small to cook a brisket packer, it's too small to own but brisket $ what they are - and where they might be going...I might want one. They are cute after all.

I'm a fan of the red box cooker - it's so cute... but is a bit tiny. And I'm not one of the "go big or go home" crowd. I used to to think if it's too small to cook a brisket packer, it's too small to own but brisket $ what they are - and where they might be going...I might want one. They are cute after all.
I'll sell you mine. I love it but I need to thin the herd.
2d2a6e407938c03282df5b5edbdcffc3.jpg

Back