Help, can I hold whole briskets for a few hours and then crash cool them?

rikun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of pickle here...

I'm cooking quite a bit of briskets and butts right now, going to crash cool them and reheat in two days. My plan was to pull them when ready and immediately crash cool with ice water bath as Landarc kindly detailed in this post: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216366

However I seem to be little lacking on the ice department and already in the middle of the cook. Is it ok from food safety standpoint to hold the briskets hot above the danger zone for a few hours, and then crash cool them later on? That would buy me enought time to go get more ice after.

I think from food safety standpoint there shouldn't be an issue as long as they aren't too long in the danger zone at any point in time... But how about quality-wise? Any takers?

I semi-crash cooled briskets and birds using a variation of landarc's method. My fridge will go to 33*F rather quickly if need be. It's a feature with a button.

Had Great results during that brisket crisis.

Nice fridge!

If you keep them above 140F you're good. If it's just a couple of hours, you have no problem.

Back