• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Member from Minnesota

WatchManUSA

Reaction score
I just joined the The BBQ-B. I don’t have a lot of smoking experience. I’ve playing around with smoking, mostly ribs, on my old Weber gas grill using a smoke box. Decent results on ribs but I can’t get it to cook low enough for brisket. It gets done and has a good smoke ring but I can’t let it cook long enough to get it nice and tender without fear of burning. Foil helps but the heat still has an impact.

I’m setting organized to retire some time next year so I will have more time to spend cooking. I’m getting close to a descision on a smoker.

I’ve looked at Masterbuilt pellet, Weber charcoal, Traeger pellet and Yoder pellet smokers. Then online at Mak and others. I guess if possible, I would prefer to buy products built in the USA. It’s worth paying a bit more if the quality is better. The problem is, the ones I’ve looked at are about $300 to $2000.

I have a history of overbuying so, while I really like the Yoder, I’m sure a Weber would work OK. That’s my dilemma, the Weber smoker or the Yoder. My analytic side side says get the Weber. The creative side says get the Yoder and you have a smoker, grill and oven all-in-one. They are miles apart in construction, application and price.

I have to decide soon because I volunteered to provide smoked turkey and ribs for the family Christmas dinner. The (self induced) pressure is on.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your decision. :grin:

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona... Deciding what cooker can be one of the most difficult decisions you will make, more time and research is put into selecting a smoker than selecting a spouse...:wink:

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome aboard, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back