MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #46
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonVolt View Post
I didn't read all the posts in this thread but did you and the Shirley fam have a falling out?
I still own and run the three Fan Pages and will not speak on the other yet .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #47
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Interesting. I figured something was going on when Paul mentioned the new "Fans of..." Facebook page on a recent YouTube video. Oh well, hope you guys get it worked out.

In the meantime...

SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #48
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Interesting. I figured something was going on when Paul mentioned the new "Fans of..." Facebook page on a recent YouTube video. Oh well, hope you guys get it worked out.

In the meantime...

My fan page turned more into a business page and that is not why I started it and want just to show cooks and for people buying to get information .

Old 09-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #49
FishinMusician
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Freak View Post
My fan page turned more into a business page and that is not why I started it and want just to show cooks and for people buying to get information .

Forget which page it was, but I joined one. You and the FamEats fella sold me on 24x36 with your videos. Still sold, it's just, A. production is stalled, and B. with the price increase + shipping it pushes me up into the next level where I might as well get something bigger, closer. I just don't need anything bigger lol, and am trying to stay at the price limit I have set.
FishinMusician is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #50
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinMusician View Post
Forget which page it was, but I joined one. You and the FamEats fella sold me on 24x36 with your videos. Still sold, it's just, A. production is stalled, and B. with the price increase + shipping it pushes me up into the next level where I might as well get something bigger, closer. I just don't need anything bigger lol, and am trying to stay at the price limit I have set.
I feel your pain with the price increase and know they are having to source out to get parts and pay a premium price too and just can not eat it anymore .

Old 09-20-2021, 05:46 PM   #51
FishinMusician
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I feel your pain with the price increase and know they are having to source out to get parts and pay a premium price too and just can not eat it anymore .

Yah. Not that I blame them or anything. Is what it is and such.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #52
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

In the meantime...

I saw that too and thought that there might have been a falling out. Too bad because Jeff has been a huge supporter of theirs for years. Hopefully things get worked out.

As far as other pits go, have you looked at Outlaw smokers Jeff? They make nice stuff and I've gotten to look at a couple of ones up close.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:56 PM   #53
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I saw that too and thought that there might have been a falling out. Too bad because Jeff has been a huge supporter of theirs for years. Hopefully things get worked out.

As far as other pits go, have you looked at Outlaw smokers Jeff? They make nice stuff and I've gotten to look at a couple of ones up close.
I will check them out too like all suggested and to everyone I still have Shirley cookers .

Old 09-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #54
TexasStickBurner
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : TexasStickBurner

Add me to the Johnson Smoker endorsements. Just purchased the Ultimate Compact Patio and have completed around 6 cooks to this point. This is my first stick burner and I find it easy to manage and turn out good 'cue. The reverse flow system works well at maintaining even temps on the horizontal. I can get about a 40* temp difference between the horizontal and vertical chambers which is nice when cooking stuff like ribs & chicken at the same time. Basically it functions like two smokers in one - similar to a Lang Deluxe Patio. The inclusion of a charcoal baffle for grilling is also a nice touch.

The smoker seems like a good value as-is but one of main advantages of Johnson is just how flexible they are on custom features. I had Chad add a guru port, probe port, stainless grates, 8" casters, removable shelf for the vertical, plus a trapdoor to allow direct heat into the vertical when desired. His answer is always 'yes' and the extra costs are reasonable. Hindsight 20/20 I should have also asked about a powder coat option, added grease drains to the vertical, and perhaps gone with a wider firebox door so I could shoehorn in a large V-shaped fire basket. In my case, I ended up having Rob at Smoking Hot BBQ custom fab a U-shaped fire basket that works great with this smoker.

I too shopped all the brands in this thread and even paid a visit to Pits by JJ. Pretty hard to go wrong with any of them. Good luck in your quest! Glad to answer any questions should you be curious about this particular smoker option. Cheers!
TexasStickBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #55
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:

In the meantime...

Fans of Shirley fabrication is not new…. Actually Chris Eden (oif marine here) Matt Baldwin… (Shagdog here) (Kirk Phariss) (Chicago KP here) and Ryan Hoff Started the ‘“fans of Shirley fabrication “ over a year ago… they are great guys who I have done cooks for veterans with on more than one occasion …. They actually do a lot of outreach and I consider all of them friends…Chris Eden is someone I highly respect as he did 2 combat tours in Iraq… and I hold veterans in high regard … I’m not mad at noone sometimes it just time to do things in a different way……if Jeff’s page turned into a business page then that’s on him and his mods…but in all actuality aren’t you promoting a business… or am I just dumb…… anyway….. im good always have been our reputation has been established for several years by the sweat of our brow… excellent customers who have promoted us in many ways and we thank God for them….we have always tried to do the right thing….. in the future … in fact near future you will see us enter into the general offset market… it’s not rocket science and is actually a lot less time consuming that building reverse Flows which of course we will always do…. Any questions pm me…

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #56
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameOutSmokin View Post
Fatstack smokers
Mad scientist has a video on his channel about the 2 new "backyard " models.

Yea, but he’s an idiot. Have you ever watched his channel?!

Old 09-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #57
SirPorkaLot

Default Looking For A New Stick Burner

Quote:

You sadly allowed that to happen. I watched it happen in real time.
First with the v baskets from another company (which is what caused the revolt that led to the Fans of Shirley group happening) and then with the “Dinks” rubs on every other post.
That’s when I left.

Last edited by SirPorkaLot; 09-22-2021 at 08:11 AM..
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #58
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
Fans of Shirley fabrication is not new…. Actually Chris Eden (oif marine here) Matt Baldwin… (Shagdog here) (Kirk Phariss) (Chicago KP here) and Ryan Hoff Started the ‘“fans of Shirley fabrication “ over a year ago… they are great guys who I have done cooks for veterans with on more than one occasion …. They actually do a lot of outreach and I consider all of them friends…Chris Eden is someone I highly respect as he did 2 combat tours in Iraq… and I hold veterans in high regard … I’m not mad at noone sometimes it just time to do things in a different way……if Jeff’s page turned into a business page then that’s on him and his mods…but in all actuality aren’t you promoting a business… or am I just dumb…… anyway….. im good always have been our reputation has been established for several years by the sweat of our brow… excellent customers who have promoted us in many ways and we thank God for them….we have always tried to do the right thing….. in the future … in fact near future you will see us enter into the general offset market… it’s not rocket science and is actually a lot less time consuming that building reverse Flows which of course we will always do…. Any questions pm me…

Yup!
The “Fans of Shirley..” is the only FB group dedicated to Shirley smokers i belong to now.
Great group of people, highlighting great cooks and their charity work.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #59
FishinMusician
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStickBurner View Post
but one of main advantages of Johnson is just how flexible they are on custom features. I had Chad add a guru port, probe port, stainless grates, 8" casters, removable shelf for the vertical, plus a trapdoor to allow direct heat into the vertical when desired. His answer is always 'yes' and the extra costs are reasonable

This is cool to hear. Makes me think I can probably talk to him about dropping that top shelf an inch or so down if I were to go that route. Cool deal.

EDIT: looking at the smoker again, just seems an inch drop may be too much, but today, for some reason, the picture seems to show enough space on top for me lol.

Last edited by FishinMusician; 09-22-2021 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #60
FishinMusician
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
You sadly allowed that to happen. I watched it happen in real time.
First with the v baskets from another company (which is what caused the revolt that led to the Fans of Shirley group happening)

That caused a revolt? Lol wow, I must have been on a different page and missed that one. Those V-baskets look like a pretty good match for that Shirley, though. Most fabricators should probably try a similar design.

I'll tell you this, Freak (along with Fameats guy) have probably done more for people wanting to buy these Shirleys than most people would want to believe. Hell when I couldn't find a reliable website or get a response from the men themselves, he was the first to answer my questions on one of those pages, and that's in addition to his videos that helped convince me of the awesomeness and qualify of the Shirley RFs. But facebook and drama, hand in hand, baby.

Last edited by FishinMusician; 09-22-2021 at 09:06 AM..

Thanks from: --->