Looking For A New Stick Burner

I thought BBQ Freak was either an employee or sponsored by Shirley. Shirley's website is outdated, doesn't have current pricing, or wait times, and Freak was the one relaying that information in a timely manner. He answered at least five of my questions, and with-in 24 hours on each occasion. I'd be surprised if Shirley wasn't compensating him in one way or another. If not, he definitely deserved it.

That caused a revolt? Lol wow, I must have been on a different page and missed that one. Those V-baskets look like a pretty good match for that Shirley, though. Most fabricators should probably try a similar design.

I'll tell you this, Freak (along with Fameats guy) have probably done more for people wanting to buy these Shirleys than most people would want to believe. Hell when I couldn't find a reliable website or get a response from the men themselves, he was the first to answer my questions on one of those pages, and that's in addition to his videos that helped convince me of the awesomeness and qualify of the Shirley RFs. But facebook and drama, hand in hand, baby.

Agreed! He was (and may still be) a great ambassador for them.

I just didn’t agree with the direction the FB group he owns went, so I left.

Stuff happens

Have a Workhorse that is in production, so that would be my obvious vote.

Figuring it will be in here in early October with the next shipment. Post ordering it will have been about 6 months, which I did not think was awful considering other fabricators turn times.

Have a Workhorse that is in production, so that would be my obvious vote.

Figuring it will be in here in early October with the next shipment. Post ordering it will have been about 6 months, which I did not think was awful considering other fabricators turn times.

Which model? I love the look of those

Agreed! He was (and may still be) a great ambassador for them.

I just didn’t agree with the direction the FB group he owns went, so I left.

Stuff happens

I agree - He threw a temper tantrum recently regarding Kevin who is the transporter for Shirley. It's his page and he can run it however he would like, but much of his stance is very childish.

That's after he sold his old patio and the fan page group decided to raise money so he could get a free vertical. Frankly that's when I was turned off. Seemed like it was the wrong time to get into it with Shirley and Kevin White.

Which model? I love the look of those

1957 - with a top rack and the cowboy. Storage for winter played a part in size.

Have seen and had food off of the 1969 and a Primitive 500 from a friend. The quality of fabrication and output of food made it easy to purchase.

That's after he sold his old patio and the fan page group decided to raise money so he could get a free vertical. Frankly that's when I was turned off. Seemed like it was the wrong time to get into it with Shirley and Kevin White.

The only part of this initial post that had me baffled, as I remember seeing the fundraiser. Assuming all of that has been canceled and refunded.

I really like my El Rey Smoker - - traditional flow, top down heat, insulated FB and ss shelf- - but sadly they are no longer in production.

Looking at the smoker again, just seems an inch drop may be too much, but today, for some reason, the picture seems to show enough space on top for me lol.

Just measured the upper horizontal rack on the Johnson Ultimate Compact Patio. It's 31 3/8" wide x 13" deep. Distance from grate to top of door cut is 3". I usually throw thin stuff like ribs, sausage, and spatchcocked chickens up there. Runs hotter than the temps on the lower horizontal grate.

Just measured the upper horizontal rack on the Johnson Ultimate Compact Patio. It's 31 3/8" wide x 13" deep. Distance from grate to top of door cut is 3". I usually throw thin stuff like ribs, sausage, and spatchcocked chickens up there. Runs hotter than the temps on the lower horizontal grate.

On the website he's showing a 32 x 19 lower, and 32 x 16 upper, for both the regular Compact AND the Ultimate Compact, so I'm wondering if he made a change. Appears the pictures on the website show a bit more of a gap from the top rack to the lid vs. older videos I've seen. Will email him about it if I decide to go further.

Thanks for your info!

A glimmer of hope...
ec5276270b47ae09c2837387a68c9ef5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I sold a LSG and bought a Workhorse 1969 and am absolutely loving my decision. I can’t recommend Workhorse enough! They are built like a tank and the convection is incredible. Give them a really hard look you won’t be disappointed.

Fans of Shirley fabrication is not new…. Actually Chris Eden (oif marine here) Matt Baldwin… (Shagdog here) (Kirk Phariss) (Chicago KP here) and Ryan Hoff Started the ‘“fans of Shirley fabrication “ over a year ago… they are great guys who I have done cooks for veterans with on more than one occasion …. They actually do a lot of outreach and I consider all of them friends…Chris Eden is someone I highly respect as he did 2 combat tours in Iraq… and I hold veterans in high regard … I’m not mad at noone sometimes it just time to do things in a different way……if Jeff’s page turned into a business page then that’s on him and his mods…but in all actuality aren’t you promoting a business… or am I just dumb…… anyway….. im good always have been our reputation has been established for several years by the sweat of our brow… excellent customers who have promoted us in many ways and we thank God for them….we have always tried to do the right thing….. in the future … in fact near future you will see us enter into the general offset market… it’s not rocket science and is actually a lot less time consuming that building reverse Flows which of course we will always do…. Any questions pm me…

Why not have the best of both worlds? I’m proud to say that I’m coming up on Mr. Paul’s build list soon and have put in my request for a SHIRLEY DIRECT FLOW smoker. I’ve had a Lang 84 reverse flow for years and am excited to see what comes out of this build.

I thought BBQ Freak was either an employee or sponsored by Shirley. Shirley's website is outdated, doesn't have current pricing, or wait times, and Freak was the one relaying that information in a timely manner. He answered at least five of my questions, and with-in 24 hours on each occasion. I'd be surprised if Shirley wasn't compensating him in one way or another. If not, he definitely deserved it.

Paul really should remove all the old content from his website and just add a link to their instagram / facebook / YouTube pages. Their smokers look SOOOOO much better today than the old one's that are still up on their website. I'd worry the old website could cause someone that's just starting to look to go "meh" and keep looking.

Back