MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default **Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in my Drums**

I had seen a member playing around with the Vortex Firebasket from Hunsaker Smokers in a Performer and 22" WSM, and decided to give them a try in my BPS Drum, 55 & 85 Gallon Big Drum Smoker clones.

Here is the link that describes how it works:

http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/produ...ex-fire-basket

My first cook was in my BPS REDRUM, 6lb chicken cut "Leaping Frog" style and used only a Weber chimney full if KBB and let it rip.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Beautiful (and even) coloring. Might need to look into one

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
swamprb

Default **Vortex Firebasket cooks #2 BPS vs BDS**

Next day myself and Sno/King Meat Cartel member and Phil Wingo stand-in Rub Runner fire up the BPS and Big Drum Smoker clone for a little chicken and babyback action!

I shook out the ashes from the previous nights yardbird cook and added a few new briqs and fired it off in the BDS for thighs.

No burning!

Babybacks on the BPS

Love the Drums, diggin' the Vortex basket!

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
swamprb

Default 85 Gallon Big Drum Smoker clone with the Hunsaker Vortex basket

I haven't had a cook like this with the expanded metal basket I've been using on the 85. 26" cook grate, I cut out 4 "Leaping Frog" whole birds and let it rip with the Vortex firebasket. It took 8 minutes to get to temp! KBB with Pecan Mojobricks!

Rib-O-Lator Bob approves this message!

puffin' away!

All I can say is that I am very pleased with the results I've gotten so far with the Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in my Drums.

I'll be honest, I've not been a heat deflector user and was at first skeptical, but this thing really gets the job done and I still get that "fat drippin' on the coals flavor" of cooking direct that I really enjoy.

More to come - this has changed the way I drum!

Old 03-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Ol'Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like another interesting tool for the arsenal, do the vanes rotate?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I am guessing that the heat rising causes the vortex to rotate which causes it to cook like a convection oven?

Either way, great looking chicken.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Joe View Post
Looks like another interesting tool for the arsenal, do the vanes rotate?
No, the vanes do not rotate.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #8
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

Having a hard time imagining enough airflow to produce a "vortex" at low temps in a WSM/drum type cooker. Looks cool though.
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #9
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I am guessing that the heat rising causes the vortex to rotate which causes it to cook like a convection oven?

Either way, great looking chicken.
No the Vortex vanes do not rotate.

Here is the description of how it works from the Hunsaker Smokers website:

Fits in a metal 55 gallon barrel. The vortex fire basket helps reduce hot spots which is needed to ensure consistent results.

Question: How does the vortex basket work?

Answer: Air is forced upwards from the center air intake (controlled by the foot operated air intake lever) into the hot charcoal. The hot air is then forced through the vortex plate at the correct angles causing the air inside the smoker to spin. The spinning air helps maintain a consistent temperature throughout the smoker. The vortex plate also acts as a heat deflector which helps reduce burned meat.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
MAB52
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Brian, that looks really cool. Thanks for sharing.
Weber 22.5"
MAB52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #11
Bushman5
On the road to being a farker

mmmmm.....this gives me ideas.....at work in the shop is a 22" round disc of 1/8" mild steel.......

thanks for sharing the photos.....I just started my UDS build. Getting all excited :)

Old 03-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeat View Post
Having a hard time imagining enough airflow to produce a "vortex" at low temps in a WSM/drum type cooker. Looks cool though.
OK- Lets say we get past the "vortex effect" and look at it as a fire basket with a fancy heat deflector?

Then we put it in a WSM without a waterpan?

Next on my agenda!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #13
TheMidnightSmoker
On the road to being a farker

Almost a year old post but I am hoping Swamprb see this. My concern is that the small width of the vortex would not direct the heat to the outside parameters of the cooking grate on the bigger 85 gallon drum but instead focus most of the heat to the center. I have a Jumbo BDS (85 gallons) and the existing charcoal basket is much wider then the vortex. Do you mind sharing your experience in this matter?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
ray1000
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : ray

i wassure hopen TheMidnightSmoker question above on will work in bigger smoker was answered thanks
ray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #15
dshaffes
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the Hunsaker Vortex plate that sits on the fire ring of my WSM ...AMAZING ADDITION. No more water pans, and it creates even temps throughout the entire smoker. I've been hanging ribs with great results. In fact, I've been using in comps and getting Top 10 consistently.
dshaffes is offline   Reply With Quote