Basic Brisket Tutorial (pron heavy)

I'm not sure if this has been asked or not but after rinsing off, do you need to let it come to room temp or can you go right to cooking? Thanks in advance. I am trying a big boy in my Master Craft electric for father's day. The first one was small and I dried it out.

I'm not sure if this has been asked or not but after rinsing off, do you need to let it come to room temp or can you go right to cooking? Thanks in advance. I am trying a big boy in my Master Craft electric for father's day. The first one was small and I dried it out.

Some let them sit for a bit but you'll never get a large piece of meat up to room temperature in a reasonable time frame. Colder meat should help get more smoke on the meat, good for an electric.

I'm getting nervous, it's been on for 14 hours. The point has felt like butter for the past 3 hours but the flat still has a little firmness. I'm scared to death I'm going to dry it out. If anyone is listening right now, I need some encouragement...

I'm getting nervous, it's been on for 14 hours. The point has felt like butter for the past 3 hours but the flat still has a little firmness. I'm scared to death I'm going to dry it out. If anyone is listening right now, I need some encouragement...

Calm down and smoke a fatty?

You got this, the flat will give up

Electric smoker, 255 degrees for the first 11 hours then noticed the grill shut off so I put it on 260 and it's been another 3 hours.

This is why I'm nervous, that and I've not been successful yet.

Electric smoker, 255 degrees for the first 11 hours then noticed the grill shut off so I put it on 260 and it's been another 3 hours.

This is why I'm nervous, that and I've not been successful yet.

Your on the home stretch. Bump the heat to 275 or stay the course. Is it wrapped? Don't check too often, dont keep unwrapping to check.

I pulled it. The point just ripped right off. I chopped it up for burnt ends. After resting I started slicing but it just fell apart. It's not dry but does this mean I cooked too long?

Attachments

• 20180617_130254.jpg
    20180617_130254.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180617_132415.jpg
    20180617_132415.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 69
Either too long, or you used a dull knife, or a serrated knife that pulled it apart.
Regardless, how's it taste?
Since it's shredded, you can always use it for Brisket nachos, Brisket Tacos, pulled beef sammies.... the list goes on.
Maybe you cut it at the wrong angle? I've had to happen too and it falls apart.

I have seen this tutorial before. I found it again when I got the WSM and read thru it before doing my first (And only, so far) brisket. I have it bookmarked and will refer to it again.

Absolutely worth reposting!

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Either too long, or you used a dull knife, or a serrated knife that pulled it apart.
Regardless, how's it taste?
Since it's shredded, you can always use it for Brisket nachos, Brisket Tacos, pulled beef sammies.... the list goes on.
Maybe you cut it at the wrong angle? I've had to happen too and it falls apart.

It probably was the knife. Everything tasted great. I'm calling it a success and I'm going to buy a new knife just for brisket.

It probably was the knife. Everything tasted great. I'm calling it a success and I'm going to buy a new knife just for brisket.

Or... you could just sharpen the knife. Pretty much any knife will slice meat if it’s sharp enough.

VR,
Harold

Or... you could just sharpen the knife. Pretty much any knife will slice meat if it’s sharp enough.

VR,
Harold

I sliced it with a razor sharp fillet knife so I know it was sharp enough. I sharpen them to butcher my own deer since I was a kid. The meat just didn't hold together at all. I tried three different knives until I settled on the fillet knife. Knives that aren't sharp are dangerous and have no place in my kitchen. The meat literally fell apart and I just pulled the point away by hand.

Back