Used Assassin 28 - What do you think?

JKCDN

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
$1200 Used Assassin 28 for sale in California. I have a small but growing catering business and love the capacity and the brand but don't have any experience with this type of cooker. What do you think about the condition? the bottom area looks dark (fire?). Don't mind renting a power-washer and re-seasoning but that's a lot of money for me.

Appreciate any input on the condition and price. Very hard to find quality cabinet smokers for under $1500 out here California.

00o0o_bWM5Ah09OZC_1200x900_zps5j7o1fjn.jpg

00000_chJmcMbRa8T_1200x900_zpsch6pjfhw.jpg

Condition looks a little rough but that wouldn't stop me. I woulda picked it up today...

If solid overall Buy, Buy, Buy,! Yes, pressure clean. Gaskets easy to replace if needed. Gravity fed will work well for your needs.

Just my Tequila brain talking.

So I'm looking for rust and weld breaks? Trying to figure out what a "red flag" would be.

Someone just posted a Chubs 3400 for $600 so maybe it's my lucky day :)

Offer $900. Pull out the cash and sniff it and then flap it in the air. Make sure it is all 100’s. They will bite!

It's seen some use, and I see a few dings next to the fire box. From the pics, no "gotchas" that I can see. The door gasket looks in good shape, but the the fire box gasket is frayed and can be replaced......it might work fine until you get a chance to replace it. It just needs a good cleaning / re-seasoning and it will be ready to rock. If you intend to use it for catering, I think you're not out for shiny new looks and glossy photos. A little TLC and it's good to go.

I don't cook professionally or compete, but I do cook a lot on mine. Assassin is a real deal high quality cooker.

$1200 for a 28 is about 1/3 of the new price.

Last edited:
Updated photo showing the chute (ouch) and it doesn't include the pitmaster iq120. Can anyone comment on the photo? Is that repairable? I'm thinking around $800 now.....

01616_4M5ySF7KzVm_1200x900_zpsfiietn39.jpg

I've seen that on listed. It's a bit rough, but I do think you can clean it up. I bought new when I got my 24 last October and absolutely love it.

pretty normal of the chute to look like that...

That's a steal of a deal.. but if you are thinking about transporting for on site catering , they are a pain to move around.

I've seen that on listed. It's a bit rough, but I do think you can clean it up. I bought new when I got my 24 last October and absolutely love it.

Took a look today you were right. The photos scared me a little but it person this thing is a tank! I need to place it close to a wooden fence. How close is safe? I cook at 300f max, does it get hot to the touch?

Offer $900. Pull out the cash and sniff it and then flap it in the air. Make sure it is all 100’s. They will bite!

Yup, just like good Q...presentation!
All new hundos facing the same.
Not only will he take it, you'll see a smile.

Personally, if it's worth 1200, I'd prob go 1k, it's an investment you'll make money with.

You should jump on it at that price. Don't worry about the chute lid. Just clean it up and then just put foil over the opening and you won't get that build-up under the lid.

The firebox door gets a hot but the rest of the cooker stays cool as it's fully insulated. That being said, you will notice the area around the door will get a little warm (not hot) but that's just the heat transfer from the steel around the cooker opening. You will have no problems having it by your fence.

So I'm looking for rust and weld breaks? Trying to figure out what a "red flag" would be.

The Chubby 3400 is $799 with free shipping on a couple of sites and not nearly the capacity of the Assassin.

I'don't give that Assassin a hard look. In my opinion the Chubby 3400 looks like a disposable smoker, something you might get some service out of but will eventually fall apart.

Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback.

I pulled the trigger at a great price and will pick it up Friday. I am thinking about sandblasting and repainting not sure, I may just clean it and start cooking.

Thanks again!

Back