galvanized,chrome,stainless question

maxwell7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've watched the threads on not using galvanized bolts etc. I have a 50's model cook 'n' kettle. I replaced the bolt on the bottom damper with what is likely a galv. bolt. Is that a problem? --or no big deal?Baker's Cook 'N' Kettle is making these cookers again and I can replace the charcoal and cooking grates as well as other accesories. I'd like to get this wonderful old cast-iron kettle fully functional again. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Doug Webb

Dang man you got no love. You must have posted too early in the morning!

As for the bolt I say hit it with a torch to burn off the coating and you're set.

I do know a lot of the folks around here are interested in issues related to galvanization. There's been alot of talk about it.

I do know a lot of the folks around here are interested in issues related to galvanization. There's been alot of talk about it.

I hope you don't think I'm picking on you. I'm not but...

I would say that's probably the understatement of the year!

when redoing cookers, etc, i always use stainless. not a lot of $$$$ and its safe.

As long as you par boil anything you stick in there yu should be fine...

:rolleyes:

I read and read the debates. I just bougt zinc and burned off all the zinc with a propane torch. Took all of 60 seconds.

My next build I will prolly go with ss, mainly because the next one will be a more permanent build. The first one I tried to make as cheap as possible.

Back