Smoked Smoked Pot Roast with Veggies (and Pron of course)

cgwaite

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of Angus pot roasts at the store this weekend and got the bright idea to smoke them. After a quick search of the forum, I found the following link, which inspired me to "go for it!"

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum.showpost.php?p=756455&postcount=1

So here are the two roasts, seasoned up with Bovine Bold:

D2009-09-28-002a.jpg

Got the WSM fired up with half Kingsford regular and half with Kingsford with Hickory:

D2009-09-28-004a.jpg

After about four hours on the smoker, I took a disposable half-pan and put one roast into it. Then I dumped a hast of veggies over it and added some beef broth; covered the pan in foil and placed it back on the WSM. Did the same for the second one, too.

Had to go out for about three hours, so they remained untouched until I got home. Temps was around 235 degrees F. when I got home. Since it was dark, didn't get any picks of that, but I did pull one out and plate it. Here it is prior to cutting:

D2009-09-28-005a.jpg

A quick slice shows the nice smoke ring:

D2009-09-28-008a.jpg

Thanks to the Brethren for inspiring me to venture outside my comfort zone and try something new. I must admit, this beats the pants off any crock-pot (or oven) made pot roast I've ever had. Not sure if it's considered 'Que, but I do know that it was "Good Eats"! :lol:

nice job there, looks delicious.

When does pot roast stop being pot roast? As there does not appear to have been a pot involved.

nice job there, looks delicious.

When does pot roast stop being pot roast? As there does not appear to have been a pot involved.

Well, in this case it was probably the disposable half-pans, covered in foil I used for the second-half of the cook (unfortunately there was no pron of that [does that mean it didn't happen?]). While it's not really a pot, being enclosed in an aluminum pan and sealed with foil does simulate the actions of a pot.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Man, those look awesome!
Great job...thanks for sharing the pics.:wink:

I have a chuck roast waiting for the same treatment this weekend. I think I'll add the taters n' carrots too. Thanks for the pics. Looks fantastic!

According to Wikipedia, the authoritative source on all cooking related subjects (see Adobo):

Pot roast is typically made by browning a roast-sized piece of beef (often taken from the tougher chuck cut) to induce a Maillard reaction, then slow-cooking in an acidulated liquid in a covered dish.

so if we consider the initial time on the cooker was the browning process, then it was technically a pot roast.

Never really was a 'pot roast' fan, but now, I just may convert. Looks awesome:-D

Back