Kurobuta Pork, is it for pork snobs?

i got a small ham and two corn beefs from srf. the corn beef was among the best iv'e tasted. the ham... not so good.

We had a large ham from SRF, it was terrific. In general, their products are pricey and worth it if you can afford them.

Part of Snake River Meat's.Can't say about the Ham's but the rib's are awesome .I order from Snake River 3 times a month on a regular bases.

Hey guys - Shane with Snake River Farms here.

It's a bit cliche to say, but Kurobuta is to pork what Kobe is to beef. Today's mainstream pork has been bread to be the "other white meat" which has resulted (in my opinion) in a product that is bland, watered-down and somewhat tasteless. Kurobuta is different on a genetic level and that translates into pork that is much redder than you're used to, it's also highly marbled and very juicy. We hear a lot that it's "what pork used to taste like."

That said, it's expensive to produce, and thus to sell. Some people find the taste difference to be worth it, others don't. I can tell you that of all of the products we sell, our ham customers are the second-most passionate and vocal about how much they love the product (our briskets are first).

Rookiedad - I'm sending you a PM, I want to find out more.

Completely agree, My butcher sells a lot of Berkshire and it is AMAZING. Is Berkshire similar to, or the same as Kurobuta? I will look on this site later. Can you order online?

Completely agree, My butcher sells a lot of Berkshire and it is AMAZING. Is Berkshire similar to, or the same as Kurobuta? I will look on this site later. Can you order online?

Everything I've read says Berkshire and Kurobuta are the same type of pig.

I'll always pay somewhat more, but how much more depends on the cut. I agree with whoever said the ribs are worth it--I think they have a flavor different enough that if you like it it is worth the difference. For me not so much on the shoulders.

Also see if anyone is raising it locally--can be a better price if you avoid the shipping

Back