Purchased Ham Instead of Shoulder

Aswell

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
:doh:

So I really didn't know what I was doing when I was at the butcher yesterday and ended up getting a 18.5lb ham with the skin on instead of a shoulder.

I was hoping to split it into two and do some kind of pulled pork with it, but now knowing what actual cut I have, I feel pretty lost.

Anyone have some suggestions on what I should do? I'm working on a 30" Masterbuilt Smoker (Live in the city with a small balcony)

Make a ham, and go back for some boston butt :thumb:

You can cook it like a pork loin, to around 140's internal. Or cure it and make a really nice ham, as suggested.

Sounds like a fresh ham. They are not cured like ham you eat for holiday. Not all bbq has to be Boston butt. Good Q can certainly be made from the leg. I cook til tender, it pulls just fine.

Most take off the skin, I do not.

Mr. Ninja; when you say you cook till tender, about what internal temp would that be?

When I say cook till tender there isn't a temp. It literally means when I poke it and the meat offers the resistance of warm butter.

Usually high... 190+ for shoulder.

Mr. Ninja; when you say you cook till tender, about what internal temp would that be?

Temp is less important. The shank end of the leg gives you a good cue just as blade bone in a shoulder. I use a number of indicators; pull back, giggle, probe, even sight, sound and smell help determine when it's time. The temp should be less than a butt, like Martin said around 190, I'd guess 200 is pushing it but as always it's done when it's done.

I did the same thing over Christmas just to try a ham. Skin on whole ham. I cooked it the same way as a shoulder. It came out good but much drier and more stringy than a shoulder or butt. My neighbor (who hates fat) said he liked it. For me.....I wouldn't do it again......

I wouldn't take a fresh ham to over 180 myself it's too lean. If you take it to 180 the fat will be starting to melt very nicely. If you goto 140 to 150 it will taste similar to loin

OK, you guys are hitting on what I was asking.
I never took a fresh ham above the 146-150 mark. Treat it like a roast loin. I know there are other ways, but to me fresh ham is at its best when done with care this way, like a pork chop or loin roast.
Thanks for the input.

OK, you guys are hitting on what I was asking.
I never took a fresh ham above the 146-150 mark. Treat it like a roast loin. I know there are other ways, but to me fresh ham is at its best when done with care this way, like a pork chop or loin roast.
Thanks for the input.

They do well slicing but don't sell pig legs short for pulled.

Here's one Kathy's Smokin did for the ham throwdown (voting is going on now)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3129492&postcount=26

Looks great to me :thumb:

Back