Ham "Roast" (pron)

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The other week I got a call from the MIL, I was informed that boneless fully cooked whole hams were on sale at the grocery store for $1.25/lb. :shock:
She asked if we wanted her to pick us up one... "YES PLEASE!" :becky::clap2:
Now, I figured that this was going to be one huge chunk of meat but, even I was surprised by it's size.
020.jpg

019.jpg

Being we are just a family of 4, I figured I had better do something other than just cook up the whole darn thing or we would be eating ham for the next two weeks morning, noon, and night. Out came the knife and I went to work. The point of the ham was cut off at about 8"s in and cubed up. The next 3 inches were cut off for a "roast" to have that night, and the remainder was first chopped in half and then one of those halves was sliced up for lunch meat. In the end, I ended up with 1 bag of cubes, 5 bags of slices, 1 "family" size ham, and the ham "roast".
022.jpg

The majority went into the freezer except the "roast" and a couple of bags of the slices. When it came to the roast piece, I had the idea of treating it like a chuck roast or a small butt roast given it's general shape and size.
023.jpg

First thing that had to go was that smoked outer layer or rind. This was going to be cooked on the grill and I figured that if I left this layer on, the smoke flavor would become very over powering.
026.jpg

Next I whipped up some new super secret rub to put on the roast. I'm a big fan of maple and sweet flavors with a pepper back. Lucky for me this rub contained those elements. :becky:
027.jpg

028.jpg

Once the roast was rubbed up, onto the OTG set for stun it went.
030.jpg

Since the ham was already cooked, this was mainly just to bring it up to temp and impart the rub flavoring to the outside. At the end of it, I quick did a reverse sear on it to give it a little crisp.
032.jpg

033.jpg

From this point I just sliced it up and served it up with some cheesy noodles and green beans.
035.jpg

036.jpg

The flavor combo on this was spectacular! The nice sweet maple flavor really enhanced the ham flavor and had everyone at the table begging for seconds. When I do this again the only thing I will change is to give the "roast" a 15 minute rest to allow the flavors to meld into the meat a little better.
I was lucky enough to save 4 pieces for my lunch the next day. It was spectacular on some biscuits with a little mayo.
mms_picture-8.jpg

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

Dang that looks good. If you wanted to cook for more than 4 you could have called me then you`d be cooking for 6 since it looks good enough to eat for 2.

No BBQ sauce? :shock:
:p
I know! Although there may have been any on the plate, there definitely was some on the table. My oldest refuses to eat almost any meat, rice, or some pastas without it. :shock: Makes a sauce daddy proud though. :becky:

Looks real good. Also like the way ya broke it down for later uses!
I'm a big believer in teaching others how to not be afraid of those great deals on huge chunks of meat and that you can do so much with them. Thanks for the comment.

Ha! I LOVE your threads Tom. Just sayin':cool:
Awwww! :grouphug: Thanks man! You keep reading them, I'll keep doing them. Heck, even if you don't I'll probably keep doing them but, it sure makes it worth it! :becky:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.................
Smoked ham..........!!!:becky::thumb:

Gooooood lookin!

Back