MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Successful turkey - Thank you for the blueprint

Just wanted to quickly thank the brethren for the turkey know-how, as I pooled several tips and tricks into one successful cook.

Started with a fresh 16 lb gobbler. Borrowed thirdeye's tip and modified his "halfcocked" approach, keeping the dark meat as is, but butterflying the white meat and removing the keel bone and wish bone, pre-cook, so it would lie flat. I liked the concept of cooking both parts separately.

Then took the patio daddio brine and the Briner I had ordered back in October. Not necessary per se and a bit of a uni-tasker to use an Alton Brown term, but it made life easier for sure and clean up was a non-issue.

Air dried the bird in the fridge over night, then fired the UDS on Thursday, late AM. Iced down the white meat about ~ 1 hr before it went on the pit. I normally use a water pan but ditched it instead for a perforated pizza pan I had tinkered with in the past.

No rub on the bird. Just a light coat of canola oil. Purposely went light on the smoke, with a single chunk of pecan and three chunks of peach. Ran it with Basques sugar maple lump @ 325 with the original FireBoard running the show and probes in both parts of the bird. Drum had no problem running that high in mid 40's weather (and could have easily run hotter).

Sure enough, consistent with what others described, the white meat hit 160 after 3 hrs, 45 mns and the dark meat hit 175 literally about 10 mns after that. Naturally, since nobody was over for dinner, said bird promptly finishes early. It had a somewhat surprising yet pleasant light color and both parts turned out well. The skin was crispy in parts but is the only thing I'd look to improve. May also add a chunk of cherry.

Thanks to the brethren for the vast collection of knowledge as I probably spent about 2 weeks or so skimming threads for ideas, seeing what worked for others then deciding which tidbits I'd take. First successful turkey in the books. Now on to leftovers...

Any questions, I'll be glad to pay it forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0526.jpg (83.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3006.jpg (50.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3009.jpg (62.0 KB, 103 views)

Old 11-30-2020, 01:39 AM   #2
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

The skin looks good on that Turkey

Old 11-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Glad we could be of help.
By "we" I mean them other guys.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

That came out perfect!

Do you have a link with more information on the halfcocked method?

Tags
Thirdeye, turkey, uds