Workhorse Pits

Man those look sweet! I am considering a stick burner. I haven't really sat down to put a list of my "wants" together yet, but that 1975t on their website looks like it checks all the boxes!

Nice looking pit there! Looks similar in design to the Franklin pits coming out. How much did that beauty cost?

Looks like a well thought out and built smoker. That there has some some of the best welds I've seen on a fabricated steel pit. Except for that gas fitting or grease drip gizmo.

Fantastic to see photos of a ‘57. I ordered one back in January and it should arrive the 24th. Last week Georgia closed non-essential businesses so I don’t know if that has affected the ship date. I was emailing JD this morning and he hadn’t mentioned it would. 12 weeks has been a long winter waiting for this pit, especially under lockdown for the last
month, but seeing these photos gets me down right giddy! I can wait.

Just received my 1969 last week. Seasoned it on Sunday. Going to order up a brisket from somewhere and get smoking.

Any suggestions on the best place to order good quality brisket and other cuts of BBQ meat from I'm in California?

I heard that Costco meat just doesn't cut it. I have always had good trip tip from them but don't know if that good taste extends to the briskets.

I'll try to attach a short video link to the seasoning of the pit...don't know if the web link will work or not but I'll try.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5MNkd8qpSVvSQy1b7

Just received my 1969 last week. Seasoned it on Sunday. Going to order up a brisket from somewhere and get smoking.

Any suggestions on the best place to order good quality brisket and other cuts of BBQ meat from I'm in California?

I heard that Costco meat just doesn't cut it. I have always had good trip tip from them but don't know if that good taste extends to the briskets.

I'll try to attach a short video link to the seasoning of the pit...don't know if the web link will work or not but I'll try.

https://lacarniceriameatmarket.com/

They are one of if not the best meat market in SoCal.

Congrats on the 69, it's a beauty. Something I was meaning to ask to a WorkHorse owner, could you take a picture of the heat deflector at the throat? In particular, would you be able to tell me whether the lip of the deflector is slightly pointed downards 10 or 15 degrees or makes a right angle with the half moon plate?

Congrats on the 69, it's a beauty. Something I was meaning to ask to a WorkHorse owner, could you take a picture of the heat deflector at the throat? In particular, would you be able to tell me whether the lip of the deflector is slightly pointed downards 10 or 15 degrees or makes a right angle with the half moon plate?

It's on an angle, maybe 45 degrees, but I don't own one so don't know for sure. Check out this video around 1:00 minute mark to get a good idea.

https://youtu.be/vvcuR-iWo6I

Yes it’s angled down but not that much of an angle. I’ll take pics of my 1975 later today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How'd ya get it up there onto the deck?

Yeah his deck is a lot higher than mine! I used an atv winch and snatch block and an aluminum ramp to get mine up a couple steps. Be interested to see how he made it up?!!

On another note, get yourself one of these buckets for ash and hot coles

7050ba243846b26f63a38f21a68b6440.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trying to decide between the 1969 and 1975. I mostly cook for just 2-4 people but a couple of times a year I do cook for 15+ adults. The price difference is negligible so it really is about right sizing for me.

Any pictures of a loaded 1969 and 1975? Fully loaded how did the 1969 cook?

What has everyone used the top shelf for? When I cook it's a protein or two and one or two sides so I am hoping the top shelf would work well for the sides and leave the main surface for the proteins.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Trying to decide between the 1969 and 1975. I mostly cook for just 2-4 people but a couple of times a year I do cook for 15+ adults. The price difference is negligible so it really is about right sizing for me.

Anypictures of a loaded 1969 and 1975? Fully loaded how did the 1969 cook?

What has everyone used the top shelf for? When I cook it's a protein or two and one or two sides so I am hoping the top shelf would work well for the sides and leave the main surface for the proteins.

Get the 1975.

That's what I would do.

I was in the same boat but was between 57 and 69. Eventually went 69. Mine should be in fab right about now, so maybe I’ll get it before I’m two feet under snow. I’ll be sure to find one of these workhorse threads and get a pic of it with some food on the grates when the time comes.

Any pictures of a loaded 1969 and 1975? Fully loaded how did the 1969 cook?

I would get the 1975. Take some masking tape and tape out the grill space of both options on your kitchen counter, make some cut outs on paper of a few slabs of ribs/brisket/etc, and don't forget to the first 12 inches or so next to the firebox won't really be cooking space, but just a water pan if you decide to use that.

I did that same exact thing (yes my family thought I was a little crazy) but once I did it, I knew the 1975 was the right choice for me and I have similar cooking needs as you.

The pits cook better without the top shelf per Workhorse - better convection. And I would assume cramming the cooker full wouldn't help either. So, I feel the more room you have to space things out, and only use the main cooking shelf is going to give you more consistent and better results.

This

The draft is a lot better without anything on the top shelf. True for workhorse and similar built offset.

Back