Are Ole Hickory Pits Suitable for the Common Man?

The Ole Hickory pits listed at Big Poppa smokers show a max temp of 275. If you look at Ole Hickory's site the pits they have are somewhere above 300.

I'm not sure which OH model y'all are talking about with the 275* limit, but the ones I have used have all had a 350* upper limit. I wish that was a bit higher, but it certainly was not 275*. I had it shut down on me at least once...I would set my temp at 325* for chicken. Somehow it overshot and shut down when it hit 350*. Had I not been paying attention we would have had late chicken that day. For that reason, I wish the upper limit safety was something like 375*.

They cook great...and you can get the smaller versions for home use...they still hold alot of meat.

The Ole Hickory pits listed at Big Poppa smokers show a max temp of 275. If you look at Ole Hickory's site the pits they have are somewhere above 300.

I gotcha. Didn't know that. The only times I have purchased Ole Hickory products has been from Ole Hickory. Yep...upper limit is 350 from the company.

Back