• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question about Backwoods, Spicewine style smokers

R

Randy R

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. Looks like theres a lot of nice people here. My wife and I did our first comp. a couple weeks back and we our hooked! I make my own smokers. I'm wanting to build one or two small smokers to separate meats. I have a gravity feed style [stumps] smoker. It will go 8 hrs. or better before you need to refill. The smokers with charcoal underneath would be more compact. How do these work? Do you light one side of the lump or minion method. I think you control burn rate with vents. How often would you have to add fuel? I hope someone who has this style could help me.

Might want to go to the Cattle Call section and Introduce yourself first brother.

Im sure others will be able to chime in on this.

I have a backwoods party that I use for my ribs, and ocassionally for butts or chicken. I load up and light one corner. Bring to temp and go. Usually good for 8-10 hours.

Welcome to the Brethren.

The way the charcoal tray in a BWS is designed the users will just fill with charcoal and light the a corner (a version of the Minion method). By regulating the airflow they control the burn rate and temperature, there is also a water pan to help with temp control.

The Spice cookers look to have a larger firebox than most BWS cookers. The pictures that I have seen of them shows a maze for the charcoal. One end of the maze is lit and with air control the burn rate for the charcoal in the maze and temperature is regulated.

The addition of a Guru or Stoker draft controller uses a fan to force combustion air into the firebox to regulate the burn and temperature.

I have a backwoods and I light one corner of the charcoal pile. Add fuel??? Nope.

I too use practically the same method for my Backwoods Party.

I have a DigiQII and will load up my firebox and light up just one corner using one of those firestarter packs or Weber cubes.

I typically like to top off my water pan and firebox before calling it a night, but that's just so I can be absolutely sure of getting >8 hours of burn time. Using this method makes pulling an all nighter no problem at all.

I have a large spicewine.... made a u-shaped basket
I typically get 10 hours of cook barely going past the 1/2 way point in the basket

this is using a digiqII and lump charcoal

no water in my water pan

Back