I scored two new grills thanks to thillin!!!

tony76248

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I had told Ty (thillin) a few weeks ago that I was interested in a Big Green Egg. Today he called me and said he saw a #3 Komodo on Craigslist. I had just been looking at Craigslist and didn't see it. It turns out the guy just listed it. Anyway, I went and looked at it and it definitely needs work but wasn't that bad. The guy also had a practically new Weber Kettle, a red one with the thicker enamel finish. I don't believe they are going to make them anymore. I scored both for $120. I made some great chicken on the Weber tonight. I figure the Komodo will require about $50-100 to get it up to snuff. I have time to do that.

Here are the links to my score:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/hsh/305440120.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/hsh/305427963.html

Thanks Ty

Nice score Tony. It would be nice to have a Craigs List around here. I see you guys getting some good buys off of it. The closest one to me is about a 4 hour trip.

Congrats

Harry

nice score.. ive been scouting for a BGE or komodo. no luck though. and any thing in the dfw area would be gone by the time i could get there on the weekend.

I check Craigslist here in OKC all the time and there ain't chit on it for grills and smokers EVER. I'll keep checking it though.

B

Very, very nice score, Tony! The Kamado is like a work of art! I would find a BGE dealer and get the stainless steel draft door, it won't rust out like the IK! If you really want to make it user friendly get the BGE spring assist hinge, the originals are a PITA, it will make a big difference. I've seen a lot of different Kamados over the years and never seen one with the characters molded into the pot like yours. The Imperial Kamado website is pretty informative with historical info and repair tips, but severely lacks any kind of Forum or cooking techniques. I have the Large Modern style and rebuilt it and a couple of the Traditional K's. You will love it!

The Red Weber is a Master-Touch and is a very sought after kettle! It looks like it's in really nice shape too. Does it have a thermometer? I found one that was in pretty rough shape and had to replace the handles, ash pan assembly, One-touch sweeps and wheels, then the next day I saw a Blue one in pristine condition and was kicking myself for dumping over $60 into it! Oh well it cleaned up nice!

That was pretty cool of Ty to alert you to these!

Brian

Shot and a goal!
Couple of nice scores there Tony, and also good of brother Ty to give you the heads up on 'em.
What a brotherhood, huh?

The Komono is missing the bottom slide draft door, the fire box grate and the ceramic damper that goes on top. The previous owner has made a nice damper though. I will need to find a breakdown of parts to determine what I need to get to fully restore it. There is some minor errosion to a portion of the fire clay on the outside of the smoker, probably from riding in the stand at some point in it's life. I am told that the older ones used fire clay on the outer portion of the smoker but the new ones do not. The guy says it is about 20-30 years old. The hinges are in very nice shape though with only minor rust. It does need a paint job. I think I will mosey over to the BGE forum and get edumicated.

Mrs Thillin heard me talking to Tony and started threatening me what would happen if I got another cooker....

That's a sharp looking weber! And the ceramic cooker will clean up rather nice, I'm sure. Nice job guys.

I was so excited about your finds, I fired up the IK and grilled a marinated flank steak and pineapple slices, and threw 2 chickens on the rotiss in the Weber! No pics as some of the school baseball team were chomping on the bit after practice!

Brian

Now If I can find a cheap firebox and fire grate for my #5 IK I can cook on it.

Back