Fire Box Help

Texas5

Reaction score
Hey guys help a noobie please. I have a stick burner that I have been using for about a year. I think the vents are to small for the firebox to get proper air. If i shut the door and just use the vents I lose my good colored smoke. If I keep the FB door open or cracked it burns way better but harder to regulate temps. Should I scrap the three small vents and put new ones in or just learn to manage with the FB door being cracked?

Thanks for any help.

A pic might help... but nope... it does not sound right to me. I'd question your exhaust vent. Are you closing that down at all??? You should keep that wide open at all times. If you don't then you are choking the fire and that will result in white smoke with an unclean burn. By opening your firebox door, you are stopping that problem, but then you can't regulate your temp properly.

Cheers!

Bill

I will try and post a picture of the rig to help see what I am working with. Yes the exhaust is wide open always. I also have a pipe frame in the floor of the firebox to help keep air beneath the wood/fire. I really think I am going to have to redo my set-up. Really wasnt wanting to weld on the FB.

Thanks tons for your reply.

I will try and post a picture of the rig to help see what I am working with. Yes the exhaust is wide open always. I also have a pipe frame in the floor of the firebox to help keep air beneath the wood/fire. I really think I am going to have to redo my set-up. Really wasnt wanting to weld on the FB.

Thanks tons for your reply.

Sounds quite odd then. Maybe ensure your grate is very clear from the base of the firebox and that there is no obstruction between the firebox and the smoker, and also in the exhaust chimney / vent. Other that that, I'm outta ideas.

Cheers!

Bill

BBQ Bandit- I do have a pipe grate on the floor of the fb to keep air circulating under the fire.

I think it needs more/bigger vents. I thought about adding some to the side of the FB. The current vents are located below the door on the FB. This also creates a problem because when the vents are wide open the FB door cannot be opened.

I will post pics of the problems and it will make more sense, Im sure there are torch and welding work in my future :)

Thanks for the help.

I am obviously picture attaching challenged, when I try to attach a picture it tells me "invalid file" any suggestions? Thanks for helping.

Yes it is a shop built smoker, not by me though. I really think it needs larger vents or vents on the side as well as just on the face of fb below door.

Here are the pictures of the rig and the firebox door. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Smoker Firebox.jpg
    Smoker Firebox.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Smoker Firebox Open.jpg
    Smoker Firebox Open.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 82
I would put two larger vents on each side, use those and leave the ones you have there closed.

Thanks tons guys. The vents there are 4" in diameter. I thought about adding vents on both sides of the firebox like mentioned. It would help to be able to keep the door to the firebox closed during the cook. Thanks again.

FARK! That's a big unit!

Here I am thinking you had a patio COS...:doh:

Well, yeah... Those vents do look too small, but anything looks small compared to the size of that baby!

Cheers!

Bill

Back