Offset vertical vs offset horizontal

P

pufferbelly

All things being equal, i.e., steel thickness (quarter inch or better), capacity etc..... Would most of you use or consider an offset vertical "ala" Bandera style vs an offset horizontal and why?

pufferbelly

I've only cooked on one. I have a 'dera style (vert).
The only thing about mine that I've noticed I do NOT like (and I LOVE mine overall) is that the bottom rack gets REALLY warm, even with the diffuser. I've never packed it full yet, but I've always wondered if this may cause issues for me later with large cooks.

I suppose you have the same issue on a horizontal (parhaps not?) closer to the firebox.

Again....can't really offer a complete comparison.

All things being equal, i.e., steel thickness (quarter inch or better), capacity etc..... Would most of you use or consider an offset vertical "ala" Bandera style vs an offset horizontal and why?

pufferbelly

Horizontal is my vote. I use vertical for cold smoking and for cooking in my UDS, but in an offset I want horizontal

Horizontal with reverse-flow is the only way to fix that problem, my std flow horizontal use to be pretty different at either end too. I'd typically put the shoulders towards that end and the more delicate meats at the other if I was doing a full run.

My next build (after a couple more UDS's of course) will be a large horizontal with reverse flow.

I have both, but use the vertical offset 2x as much as the horizontal.

To me it would depend more on the size of the grates and what you intend to cook. I have both a big offset stick burner and an upright pellet pooper, but my racks in the pellet pooper are the size of full sheet pans, so I can fit most anything I want on them.

Can't cook a whole hog in an upright, but cant hang sausages in my stickburner.

So I just have both :)

Back