Guru-type temp controller that will call my cell phone?

Thawley

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen the new Guru cyber-Q thingie...

But want I really want to know is how can you make all this cyber-stuff place a phone call to my iPhone when the meat reaches a certain temperature and I need to get out of bed and wrap it with foil? Gotta be a way.

iPhone app?

Would it not be cool to get instant readings on the iPhone so we could go some where and know what was going on at the bbq,example go golfing.
I am with you on that we need a app for that.

The app would be the easy part. First you need hardware posting a live feed of numbers. That's gonna be the difficult part.

The cyber que says it sends email and text messages.

Stoker sends emails, text messages and has alarms...
I have heard that the Stoker Customer Service isn't worth squat. IMO, I don't care what a product can do, if the guy selling it cvan't talk with me, it's just parts.

I have heard that the Stoker Customer Service isn't worth squat. IMO, I don't care what a product can do, if the guy selling it cvan't talk with me, it's just parts.

I hear this a lot, but I don't know why people have such a hard time reaching John. It's true that he doesn't respond to e-mail for whatever reason. But if you pick up the phone and call him, he almost always answers. I've had numerous 15+ minute calls talking about the stoker and smokers.

I have no affiliation with them, just get tired of hearing him get bashed.

I hear this a lot, but I don't know why people have such a hard time reaching John. It's true that he doesn't respond to e-mail for whatever reason. But if you pick up the phone and call him, he almost always answers. I've had numerous 15+ minute calls talking about the stoker and smokers.

I'm not trying to bash. I am getting ready to purchase a draft control device. I rely on this forum to get advice on stuff i am new to. W hen I have this many people telling me the same thing, I take it at face value.

Not me. I want one of you more adventurous farkers to be the beta-tester.

Just lemme know when you got it all figured out...

The stoker will do that with port fowarding. It won't call your phone but you can access the temps with your browser.

Brew - you know I respect you buddy.

Well I must come to the defense of Shane. I will try and remain respectful to both John Jackson and this forum in doing so.

I will also speak as a pro-product user and as an ex-internet content and service manager.

I like the product, but here is the point. If you run a business that DEPENDS on internet word of mouth, internet product presence, and internet Forum presence, and your product is the most sophisticated web based fan assist there is, capable of emailing you your temps and conditions, perhaps your E MAIL ETIQUETTE should be at least as good as your inanimate product. You should answer your emails in a timely manner not ignore them, if you cannot do that you should UNPLUG THE ADDRESS and the web site.

If John Jackson can make a BBQ fire device that can email you (using Stoker Log) why can't he email you himself. Or make a toggle on his web site that emails you.

It actually is kind of an endearment... but only to die hard fans.

Many on here see how great the product is, go to his web site and ask for a response and get none. They end up having to call. Problem is, with that style you nix the "impulse buyer" from your product sales... I think it would be safe to say most of us fat, lipitor and simvistatin popping, bbq brethren here give in to our impulses. LOL

Email is often efficient as it can get a product problem or order into the ether to be handled by a company or rep while you sleep. He is also on the west coast and my frustration as a business owner was when I was in the thick of things he was closed. When I ordered the product in Nov of 2007, I got no word, no call, no confirmation, no thank you, when I placed the order over the net... it just showed up after 3 weeks of me worrying about who had my card number. This is not proper ordering response protocol. Phone is not sufficient when you operate as national web based business. At some point you need to hire someone to field the calls and handle the silly stuff like... order and service.

John is brilliant and I am thankful that he made the product and when it comes down to it he stands behind his product. I have had my Stoker replaced three times at his cost when I first got started. BUT - in the same way brilliant guys may not be able to run a business, business guys sometimes are rarely brilliant.

Now below is just how strongly I like the Stoker and I made some videos that defused some myths about it. I put the stoker through the ringer if you will. At the time I bought it it was thought the stoker was too light duty for large stick burners. I made this to prove it is not the case.

Click Here

I OWN THE GOOGLE VIDEO PAGE ON THE STOKER SO YOU CAN SEE I LOVE THE PRODUCT

Still, I liked the product so much I wanted to order two or three more to see if I could design a GRILL fan assist and another one for keeping computer grids on all my cold and hot items... yes the product can do that. When I had my trailer I could sensor up to like 15 cold or hot items and record them on my stoker log for the health department.

I dispatched an email for 2 more stokers, sans fan assist, and never heard back from him. After dealing with this same problem in getting it fixed, I said I was through with Stoker (unless this Genius designs something new) like linking it to the the 5 volt automatic charcoal dropper I designed, I am through with the Stoker. So in my case, great product, great service, bad communication makes the first two traits irrelevant.

The stoker will do that with port fowarding. It won't call your phone but you can access the temps with your browser.

The stoker with Amir's lastest version of Stoker Log will send email confirmations or texts to your blackberry. If you have net access through your phone you can access it and change the temp if ya want.

I speak from experience although now that I am in warmer climates in TEXAS the smoker I designed PURRS at a perfect (for me) 270 degrees without the stoker. Go figure.

Back