Gabby's Grills Santa Maria Style Attachment

What do you think his actual costs are related to cost of materials and cost for time spent relative to the price to make the "hand over fist" money?

I figure the hard part is having the template for the cuts in raw material. Once the cuts are done the welds are pretty straightforward. I can't see it costing too much to make. Again, I've seen people sell whole pits for a bit more. Not really bashing those that buy it, just not for me at that price point.

Now you got me thinking, maybe I should look into trying to make one myself just for fun.

I figure the hard part is having the template for the cuts in raw material. Once the cuts are done the welds are pretty straightforward. I can't see it costing too much to make. Again, I've seen people sell whole pits for a bit more. Not really bashing those that buy it, just not for me at that price point.

Now you got me thinking, maybe I should look into trying to make one myself just for fun.

I totally think you should. However, since you are in LA, you might see what the discount is for local pickup (Paso Robles) is first. In fact, last night I noticed on his facebook page he went to Fontana for the weekend with a truckload of them to deliver and had a few extra. I think that's pretty close to LA, right?

I totally think you should. However, since you are in LA, you might see what the discount is for local pickup (Paso Robles) is first. In fact, last night I noticed on his facebook page he went to Fontana for the weekend with a truckload of them to deliver and had a few extra. I think that's pretty close to LA, right?
Maybe the 399 price is shipped? Fontana and Paso Robles are pretty close, but I'll give it a whack first

I know Troy gave this to you, but did Troy actually buy it, or did Gabbys Grill just send it to him to review?

I think we've all spent more than $400 on toys we didn't need.

I haven't - but I'd like to.

Possibly you could start a Go Fund Me account so I could see what that's like? :wink:

Sorry, only if you're in AZ. I've built a few for locals, costs them a little hands on during fabrication and bourbon.

To sell them, I would have to fabricate them to break down and ship, too big of a box if it was all welded up as pictured. Easy enough, a few tabs and bolts.

The one I make has a detachable, and replaceable grate if you need to replace it ever, or when you want to rotisserie without it.

The most expensive part of this on mine is the base ring, which is purchased from a vendor, fits the kettle perfectly with a little slack. The rest is simple structural steel you can get at any steel yard. Then the fabbing begins...

Well it looks really nice man. How much time does it rake to make something like this?

I look at all that weight being held up by those three spindly legs and wonder. The leg sockets are frequently the first thing to go on a kettle. At around the 2 minute mark, when you are working the crank, you can see the kettle twist and move. The santa maria grills I've seen all have a more solid base, metal or masonry.

It seems well made and should outlast several Crags list kettles, though.

I burn splits in my kettle when using the rotisserie and for grilling, so for anyone wondering about the effect of that heat on the kettle, here's the side of my 1979 kettle, where I've been banking coals and burning wood for decades.
picture.php

I think we've all spent more than $400 on toys we didn't need.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

True, but if I had $400, there are several things on the list already I think I'd use more than this. I could see spending $150-200 on it just to play with it every once in a while.

Well it looks really nice man. How much time does it rake to make something like this?

First one took a day to wrangle up the steel, measuring, thinking, design and configure the rotisserie, drink some bourbon, smoke, drink some more bourbon...etc. On the second day I painted it up. I'm guessing overall, 9-10 hours for the first one.

The second and third ones were 5-6 hours each.

I made the verticals out of angle iron and left a gap between them so I could use it as my slide guide for the rotisseries adjustment.

Bought the pillow block bearings off Ebay.

Purchased the grate at WalMart, Home Depot has them too:

Char-Broil
Universal Porcelain
SKU - 4736229433

L4yf0J.jpg

IDu4z9.jpg

6qMjj6.jpg

FCbk05.jpg

True, but if I had $400, there are several things on the list already I think I'd use more than this. I could see spending $150-200 on it just to play with it every once in a while.

$399 is the 26 inch. For the 22 like you seem to have in your profile, I think it’s 200 or 225 or something like that. Again a lot of that is shipping.

I burn splits in my kettle when using the rotisserie and for grilling, so for anyone wondering about the effect of that heat on the kettle, here's the side of my 1979 kettle, where I've been banking coals and burning wood for decades.
picture.php

Yep. The folks at Weber told me not to use lump for same reason. I haven’t noticed any issues but I always try to keep fuel away from the wall as much as possible.

Last edited:
I pile both wood and charcoal right up against the side. No issues at all.
Think about it. If there was a problem, why would they sell these?
weber-other-replacement-parts-7402-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Charcoal-Rails-2-Pack-7402/100657901
2Q==
2Q==

Is this a trick question? To make money...the new kettles come with charcoal baskets with solid metal backs. Those are under warranty.

Is your picture not showing scratches? It looks like it. Are those just reflections? Look it over really close in the light and see if you can see tiny scratches that look like a cat scratched it. Every used kettle I’ve ever looked closely at had them. They aren’t a big deal but they aren’t rare.

Is this a trick question? To make money...the new kettles come with charcoal baskets with solid metal backs. Those are under warranty.

Is your picture not showing scratches? It looks like it. Are those just reflections? Look it over really close in the light and see if you can see tiny scratches that look like a cat scratched it. Every used kettle I’ve ever looked closely at had them. They aren’t a big deal but they aren’t rare.
If you are talking about the mostly vertical marks, that's silver magic marker, indexing when the vents are closed. The little tabs on the daisy wheels broke off a long time ago and I got tired of bending over.
There are some scratches on the kettle from being blown around and being tipped over. Nothing related to heat.
I have a copy of the 26" manual I down loaded to read. Here is a capture on positioning the lit coals for indirect cooking. It states,

"2. After the charcoal is fully lit, with long tongs,
arrange the charcoal so that they will be set
on either side of the food (B). Position the
charcoal on the sides of the bowls opposite the
handles"

picture.php

Here are some of the inside of my kettles.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I never said Weber was consistent. I was just relaying what the customer service manager told me. My reaction to her comment was the same as yours when she said that. I dont agree with you that Weber’s can’t be damaged by heat but I have banked my coals hundreds of times just like everyone has and after seeing issues, I do it less often when possible. Mostly don’t care enough to argue about it. I’m glad you’ve had good luck in this area. That’s great.

Back