MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default Fette Sau

Well, I went to two different BBQ joints back to back weeks. So I was thinking about posting a review about each one incase someone is in NY and wants to try it.

The 1st was Blue Smoke. Without going into too much detail, it was good. Its was very good, prob. the best BBQ place I've been to. And the best brisket I ever had. For about a week, then came Fette Sau.

Fette Sau was amazing. Both spare and boneless beef ribs were very good. I've made better (sometimes) but needless to say they are great ribs and will not disappoint.
The pulled pork was awesome. Much better than mine, it was so moist. I fallow Chris Lilly's recipe and mine never came out that moist. And I always thought I made a great pulled pork. But this was better hands down. I think they smoke in pans.... it's the only way I can see having this much juice. I mean looking in the pan where they serve the pork there was a puddle of juice.
The pork belly!! Very good.. it was excellent but I wouldn't expect anything less from a nice thick slab of bacon. And the same goes for their links. Very very good. But to be honest it wasn't the pork dishes that blew me away. It was their brisket.
The brisket, first I want to say that I never thought brisket could taste this good. It was insane. I would always see on bbq shows where judges would say there is nothing worse than bad brisket and nothing better than amazing brisket. And I always try brisket wherever I go. And for the most part I think I have made and ordered good brisket.
Theirs was so moist. I mean crazy moist. It seems a lil undercooked I think, it had some pink. And I tried to pull it using my fingers, by no means did it crumble. But it had more "elasticity" then I would think it should. Also it had some fat (not too much since I hate fat chunks in beef) and it wasn't the fat cap that seperates the point from the flat. There was no point/burnt ends (they use that for the beans) the flat had some fat vein in it.But like I said not too much. Also the bark wasn't as dry and crunchy as I would expect and like. Another reason I think they use pots.
Even with the lack of crunchy bark, and failing the pull test this may not win 1st place in a competition but it is the absolute best. To the point I don't know if it's possible to make it better. If not getting 1st place means make'n brisket like this then I don't want to win. (BTW I'm a backyard smoker.. I do not compete.) I just find it amazing how good this was.
Some points that I noticed when I was there:
They use a Southern Pride smoker
Black Angus Beef
I think the pork is berkshire hogs not 100%

So after all that rant... how do I make brisket like that? I think I am ruined now for life. Any chance one of Fette Sau's pit masters here? Matt Lang... hello?

Hope this post makes sense, got to excited again.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Haven't been to Fette Sau yet, but I only read good things...

Gary/Pigtrip recently posted an updated review at his PigTrip site for Fette Sau

http://pigtrip.net/review-FetteSau.htm

I'd agree that Blue Smoke is OK.. It's been a few years since I was last there.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, I have read that and other reviews. Truth be told, no one needs to convince me that the place is turning out great Q. I just need to learn how to make that. I may need to offer to work there for free for a weekend

I wonder if it's hot and fast and in pans. I mean they have 1 smoker and a combo (cambo something like that, I was told it's a steamer and convection oven).
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Found this clip on You Tube..doesn't look like they use pans and only reference low & slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wINyCCsCQWc

The item you may be referring to is a Cambro... it's like an insulated warming box.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

IMHO thiS is the best joint in NY these days. Nobody even comes close to the burnt ends and it's my number 2 pastrami behind katz'

http://www.johnbrownsmokehouse.org/

This past week they won the brisket king of NYC challenge
http://newyork.nearsay.com/nyc/soho-...own-smokehouse
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, Fette Sau, NYC, Restaurant