Double Smoked Hams Plus Rye ~ A Holiday Feast TD Cooks Thread

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
For the Holiday Feast Throwdown I went with double smoked rear leg hams. This is the start of the buffet set-up. Guests brought some sides, sweets and assorted liquid refreshments.

TYnN91o.jpg

An indirect set-up on my SnS kettle at 225° with pecan chips, took a little over 3 hours to bring the internal up to 140°F.

X95vlSz.jpg

Meanwhile.... Mrs ~t~ was busy baking the rye bread.

mUGh5k5.jpg

Ready to slice, but I changed into my bartender hat and didn't take any more "Ham Cam" photos. :twitch:

AiCQGdj.jpg

Last edited:
Well, ya took enough pics that nobody can say it didn't happen.

I would, however, like to see what comes next.

Very nice Wayne. What did you do to the cream cheese. Never heard of rear leg ham

Hehehee, hams are generally from a hog's rear leg, but since I cure butts, picnics and even loins as hams I guess I'm in the habit of distinguishing the difference. These are ready-to-eat and sold as a 'carver ham' and are around 4# each, and only $10 or $12. This year I bought 10 for gifting to friends. It's my understanding they are an outside muscle group removed from the larger hunk of leg used for hams. I just scored them, and smoked at low temps until they were 120° internal.

juLN77H.jpg

I lightly oiled the block of cheese with some spray olive oil, then used toasted onion powder and roasted garlic powder followed by a coating of Plowboy's Yardbird. Then smoked it around 200° for 2-1/2 hours. It's a current fad online. Chef Tom has a really good video where he does 4 kinds.

https://youtu.be/Grexx6YSOhQ

For me, it was okay but I added some hot pepper bacon jam as a topping.... and that worked better.

oRoP3H1.jpg

I have one of those carver hams hanging out in my fridge, I’ve never scored them before but think I will this time, it looks great :thumb:

I have one of those carver hams hanging out in my fridge, I’ve never scored them before but think I will this time, it looks great :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words. Scoring helps with eye appeal, and ham fat gets a little crisp, but it's sort of creamy at the same time which some folks enjoy. But if they don't want the fat, it comes off easier after scoring.

Sounds like a pretty nice get-together. I still haven't made it to Sams. I made some smoked salmon dip that was a hit and totally forgot about hitting with a bit of smoke afterward. Compliments to Mrs. T for the great looking rye

Sounds like a pretty nice get-together. I still haven't made it to Sams. I made some smoked salmon dip that was a hit and totally forgot about hitting with a bit of smoke afterward. Compliments to Mrs. T for the great looking rye

She's in charge of all the dough. :laugh:

That has all the makings of a festive get-together and from the looks of things, a tasty and successful one, as well! I'm going to have to break down and try the smoked cream cheese soon, and that hot bacon jam looks right up my alley.

I lightly oiled the block of cheese with some spray olive oil, then used toasted onion powder and roasted garlic powder followed by a coating of Plowboy's Yardbird. Then smoked it around 200° for 2-1/2 hours. It's a current fad online. Chef Tom has a really good video where he does 4 kinds.

https://youtu.be/Grexx6YSOhQ

For me, it was okay but I added some hot pepper bacon jam as a topping.... and that worked better.

On it's own, I totally agree with you. Good...but not exciting. We've been making a bacon jam for ours, and that really helps. This was the one snack she requested this year-and we ended up doing the cream cheese, then habanero jelly, topped with bacon jam.

Very nice! Any time you put the bartender hat on, I want to be there! I'll tip well!

I think I'd enjoy sharing a share drink, or 4, with you!

Last edited:
Back