Competition Test Cooking (1)

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Two friends will be entering their first KCBS event in September and have asked me to join in on the fun... and to help with the test cooking and the planning. We started with chicken since the prep is so time consuming, and it's inexpensive. For now we are solely concentrating on taste and tenderness, shaping and boxing will come later. But to get an idea of the color contrast of sauce with garnish one of the guys did hastily add garnish to the first few sample boxes. Thighs seem much more predictable, but we had to test some drumsticks out of curiosity... but the skin is hit and miss.

Is it safer for beginners to stick with thighs? Are drumsticks too risky? And does anyone opt for Cornish hens? We could easily get 6 Cornish thighs and 6 Cornish drumsticks in the box... is this too risky of a turn-in? Lastly what are the pro's and cons of going skinless?

323Sl4b.jpg

kjDhLDu.jpg

DSjcL45.jpg

evhHsuw.jpg

I'll forego the usual unhelpful responses like "cook whatever you want", "I'll judge whatever is in the box", "if it's legal, go for it" ... pffft

Cornish Hens = no

Legs = location dependent, as some areas score legs better than others ... in their situation I'd pass

Thighs = absolutely ... focus on thighs, and work on making them the best they can

Skinless = I personally would only turn in skinless thighs if I took the foil off my pan and found the skins were destroyed. At that point, I would likely apply rub to the top of the meat, and put it in the hottest part of the smoker to get it to adhere, and pick up some color. At no point would I ever go into the cook with a plan of skinless chicken.

ps: I got my a$$ handed to me this last weekend in chicken, so feel free to listen to the next person who knows what they are doing

Switch to kale. Less work imo.

Legs aren't to bad. Just make sure you don't miss saucing the whole thing. The meat is missing sauce. First pic of legs front right piece.
Let me see if i can find a box pic of my lollipops.
It may or may not help you.

Switch to kale. Less work imo.

Legs aren't to bad. Just make sure you don't miss saucing the whole thing. The meat is missing sauce. First pic of legs front right piece.
Let me see if i can find a box pic of my lollipops.
It may or may not help you.

We could't find very many examples of turn-in boxes with lollipops. We have decided on using either kale or lettuce rounds (the style that are wrapped in plastic wrap, sliced, and wrap is removed).

sg0hhz.jpg

This was a practice box of mine. I used this layout in the Ironman last year. Any questions feel free to ask.

Good lollipops will score well but are alot of work to get it just right.

If there is only 1 person who you should listen to even less than me, it is Rusty :p

And I don't believe that is a pic of his box, as it's clear and quite vivid #fakenews

If there is only 1 person who you should listen to even less than me, it is Rusty :p

And I don't believe that is a pic of his box, as it's clear and quite vivid #fakenews

If it was anything else I would agree but lets be honest lollipops are an obsession of mine. I have actually done pretty well with lollipops.
I got 12th at the Ironman last year with that box layout. Out of 60 teams.

I'd run thighs. The Gettin' Basted blog post below is a great place to start with competition style thighs. I've ran a similar method on drum, pellet, WSM, and stick burners and it works on all of them. Play with different rub and sauce combinations that will give you a good balanced flavor.

https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/pages/gettin-basted-comp-style-chicken-thighs

I prefer to use kale for garnish. When I build the boxes I like the pre-chopped kale, when my wife builds them she prefers to start with whole bundles of kale.

I'd run thighs. The Gettin' Basted blog post below is a great place to start with competition style thighs. I've ran a similar method on drum, pellet, WSM, and stick burners and it works on all of them. Play with different rub and sauce combinations that will give you a good balanced flavor.

https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/pages/gettin-basted-comp-style-chicken-thighs

I prefer to use kale for garnish. When I build the boxes I like the pre-chopped kale, when my wife builds them she prefers to start with whole bundles of kale.

Yeah, legs seem to do well in the southeast, but they are hit or miss elsewhere for whatever reason.

I’ve never tried using pre-chopped kale. I may have to play with that, but I can build a box out of regular kale in about 5 minutes, so we’ll see.

Yeah, legs seem to do well in the southeast, but they are hit or miss elsewhere for whatever reason.

I’ve never tried using pre-chopped kale. I may have to play with that, but I can build a box out of regular kale in about 5 minutes, so we’ll see.

I used pre-chopped kale the last 2 contests. The first time was by necessity, as the kale I initially bought smelled like wet dog, and I was in a pinch. This weekend, it was on purpose. One big bag from WalMart was enough for all 4 boxes. I picked off the stems, and would throw it by handfuls into the box, saving the nicer looking "frilly" bits to frame the edges later.

This box took about 1 1/2 min ... not a huge time saver, but easy as can be

52584277_1483871578414884_6968847629060931584_n.jpg

For garnish I like to use lettuce. It is super easy now that I built a jig so that I get consistent slices each and every time which allows me to build my box in about 30 seconds or less. No more getting a slice on an angle or a little bit thicker than the previous slice.

FullSizeR_zpsxw5twycw.jpg

Last edited:

We do have 3 drums between us, and a Treager that might come in handy. The kale does look good. ^^That was one of the articles I used as a reference along with a couple of videos. Although we need to get started on our trimming and shaping the taste and tenderness is coming along nicely. We're scraping the skins, using the uncovered, then covered butter bath in foil pans. Seasoning is Birds & Bones, sauce is Blues Hog original cut with a little apple juice and a Carolina style cause for a little twang. This photo is an example of what we're shooting for.

C67PE4z.jpg

You are gearing up an practicing for a contest in sept? Quit wasting time and money and find something in April/May. Nothing will prepare you like actually competing. And no amount of practice between now and September will let you win a kcbs contest right off the bat

Thighs are the safest bet but require lots of prep - at least for me. Legs are less work but risky in my neck of the woods. I have never turned in lollipops.

Kale is my preferred garnish.

Sounds like you've got a good rub/sauce combo.

If you are going to do legs do full legs. Lolipops are for TV. But really, you should stick to nailing thighs. Focus on tenderness and non offensive flavor.

Just a heads up. That Carolina "twang", may sink or sail you depending on where you're at.

A sweeter, savory piece of chicken with a little back end heat "pop" is what you're after.

Back