JH Smokers

Vagab0nd

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello Brethren,

After a few recent trips to Texas, and a couple dozen visits to the best BBQ joints across the state, I've become obsessed with wanting to duplicate the insane flavors for my deprived friends and family here in California. A few brisket cooks on my 14.5" WSM later, I've realized I might as well try winning the Boston Marathon using a pair of flip flops as running shoes.

I've had some decent results. But, it ain't Texas good. It's time for an upgrade! Since the local authorities won't let me build a brick pit like Smitty's Market, I figure a backyard stick burner is the next best thing.

I've been seriously considering a KAT. However, they're about a 7 hour drive from here. This afternoon, I came across JH Smokers, in Riverside, California. Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://jhsmokers.com/

https://www.facebook.com/JHFabrication/

He is close enough for me to visit. But, I really don't know what questions to ask. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you!
Jeff

Website says your design your way.....

So first you need to decide if you want a horizontal or a vertical then you need to decide if you want regular or reverse flow if going horizontal . Then you need to think about what size you be wanting. Then ask him if he has any of his work that you could see go take a look and see if he has clean nice welds and nice cuts or sloppy.
If you don't know what you want I would look at various pit builders websites and Google images that you find something you like and ask him if he can clone it.

Thanks Smitty! Cool that you responded. I've read A TON of your posts over the last several weeks, and you have already been more help than you could know! I have decided on horizontal, reverse flow. I need to figure out what size. Probably 36 X 20-24" I'd like to be able to do 2 or 3 briskets, and have enough diameter to hang sausages. But, want something small enough that I would fire up for just me and the wife. Not really sure of the function of the vertical warmer I've seen on some pits, and if it's something I'd need. Also, I'm still fuzzy on the physics of these things. Anything I should look for to ensure I get even temps? Do I need to be conscience of size of the firebox to the cooking chamber, height and/or diameter of the stack, or anything else?

I just Looked at His Facebook page- much more Pics there. Looks like Pretty Decent Stuff.

I'd ask for more pics of this one.......

4S2gNPdl.png

SvQXoTMl.png

03hdetQl.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Smitty! Cool that you responded. I've read A TON of your posts over the last several weeks, and you have already been more help than you could know! I have decided on horizontal, reverse flow. I need to figure out what size. Probably 36 X 20-24" I'd like to be able to do 2 or 3 briskets, and have enough diameter to hang sausages. But, want something small enough that I would fire up for just me and the wife. Not really sure of the function of the vertical warmer I've seen on some pits, and if it's something I'd need. Also, I'm still fuzzy on the physics of these things. Anything I should look for to ensure I get even temps? Do I need to be conscience of size of the firebox to the cooking chamber, height and/or diameter of the stack, or anything else?
"

DON'T Buy a 36" - they Suck - you will outgrow it Quick. Think about 1-2 Brisket plus Ribs plus Pan of Beans. Go 24"x 42-48". The one posted above (24"x60") is a deal at $1699 :heh:......Find out if it's 3/16" or 1/4" or what. If too Big ask if he can build a 24"x 48" version. Just Judging by the Pig Pic that thing seems to Flow Well and Pretty Even Temps..........

Warmers over the Firebox - most don't use as warmers but as a vertical charcoal or wood fired smoker - like having 2 Smokers if it has the right dampers between FB and Warmer or put a charcoal basket in the bottom of it.

Eyeball this....... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229641

Last edited:
I'd call him and see if that pig cooker model is His personal so you could look at it or if he has another one to look at and go see it (with deposit $ in my pocket).

"

DON'T Buy a 36" - they Suck - you will outgrow it Quick. Think about 1-2 Brisket plus Ribs plus Pan of Beans. Go 24"x 42-48". The one posted above (24"x60") is a deal at $1699 :heh:......Find out if it's 3/16" or 1/4" or what. If too Big ask if he can build a 24"x 48" version. Just Judging by the Pig Pic that thing seems to Flow Well and Pretty Even Temps..........

Warmers over the Firebox - most don't use as warmers but as a vertical charcoal or wood fired smoker - like having 2 Smokers if it has the right dampers between FB and Warmer or put a charcoal basket in the bottom of it.

Eyeball this....... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229641

Glad I asked! I was pretty sure 36" was the size. The LSG looks great! But, too far outside my budget. JH's asking price for a 60" seemed like a "smoking deal". I'll take your advice and contact him for more info. Also, appreciate the link on the warming box. Don't think I'll need that. I've got 4 other cookers in the backyard that can handle direct/indirect.

A couple of things:

1. Thanks for the post. Didn't know there was a fabricator that close.
2. Welcome fellow North OCer.
3. I think I have smelled your cooks on my Saturday walks.

Did you get any more info.?
Hi Smitty, Sorry for the late reply! I've been traveling A LOT, and finally getting around to updating!

So, I called Justin. He's a 1 man shop, working out of his garage. His wife has been promoting his passion of building pits, and he hopes to be able to go full time soon. Very nice family guy! I gave him a wish list of options in a 24 X 48, with 1/4" steel. He quoted me over the phone. Then, called back an hour later to tell me he shopped suppliers and found some less expensive pipe, saving $200. Good of him to pass it on!

Next, I went out to see him. His hog cooker looked really well built. He used 3/16 steel for the one shown on his website, as we don't get low temps here in Southern California. I'm not an expert, but welds looked good. He includes vents on both sides of the firebox so you don't have to turn it on windy days. Since he's been cooking on his, he has his own list of upgrades that he plans to incorporate in mine...

Long story short, I've placed my deposit! Can't wait to get cooking!

A couple of things:

1. Thanks for the post. Didn't know there was a fabricator that close.
2. Welcome fellow North OCer.
3. I think I have smelled your cooks on my Saturday walks.

Hey John, Thanks for the welcome! Sounds like we're not too far apart. We'll have to get together and compare notes sometime.

Here's some pics of Justin's Hog Cooker (Finger's crossed for my 1st attempt at sharing photos!)
ORGwz7x7zSRqsSqCaLgFC57wZoaZpVWwxQReYjzt91W

How long does Justin takes to build on his time off? Looks like a good pit!

How long does Justin takes to build on his time off? Looks like a good pit!

He quoted me 3-4 weeks initially. But, he's been waiting on steel to come in. So, it might be an extra week or 2. Sure beats 6 months from a lot of the others I looked at!

He quoted me 3-4 weeks initially. But, he's been waiting on steel to come in. So, it might be an extra week or 2. Sure beats 6 months from a lot of the others I looked at!

I am at 15 months for my Shirley :icon_blush:. Down from 19!

congrats on the new cooker, build a good coal base and start burning sticks, will take some time to learn what it wants and when. Don't put 6 pieces of coal in it and 2 splits and expect TBL and 225* in 10 minutes.

Larry

Back