MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #31
WBDubya
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bryan

I had a Kamado Big Joe for several years (still have my Jr. but I'm thinking about selling it). Since I've switched over to a pellet my cooking life has been much easier (wifi, set and forget, etc.) and I'm cooking out more. Now I wonder why I waited so long to switch.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #32
Sergdman
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Sergio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBDubya View Post
I had a Kamado Big Joe for several years (still have my Jr. but I'm thinking about selling it). Since I've switched over to a pellet my cooking life has been much easier (wifi, set and forget, etc.) and I'm cooking out more. Now I wonder why I waited so long to switch.
Are the pellet cookers more for smoking, can it be a one for everything like the KJ or WSC. I haven’t seen or read anyone saying that it an all around grill

Thanks.
Sergdman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #33
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I've owned a Vision Kamado, a small offset, and a bunch of Weber kettles. I'd buy the Weber. I think it's a great combination of kamado and kettle. It's a Kamettle. A Kemado. A Kettlemado.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #34
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergdman View Post
Are the pellet cookers more for smoking, can it be a one for everything like the KJ or WSC. I haven’t seen or read anyone saying that it an all around grill

Thanks.

In my opinion, yes... pellet munchers are great all around cookers. Although I have a Weber kettle for those times I need a charcoal fix or screaming hot sear, I find myself using the MAK for 95% of my grilling/roasting/smoking needs. Personally, I find pellet cooking really hard to beat on numerous levels :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #35
Sergdman
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
In my opinion, yes... pellet munchers are great all around cookers. Although I have a Weber kettle for those times I need a charcoal fix or screaming hot sear, I find myself using the MAK for 95% of my grilling/roasting/smoking needs. Personally, I find pellet cooking really hard to beat on numerous levels :)

Does this mean I should now add a pellet to the list. Haven’t done much research on them, but should it be considered. I have started watching some videos and searches. Just one con about it is the cleaning (all the part and grease) of the pellet grill. Is it that bad or just another maintenance as an other grill.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #36
rwalters

Quote:
Does this mean I should now add a pellet to the list. Haven’t done much research on them, but should it be considered. I have started watching some videos and searches. Just one con about it is the cleaning (all the part and grease) of the pellet grill. Is it that bad or just another maintenance as an other grill.

My thoughts. In your original post, you mentioned that you are 39 and just now starting to get serious about grilling. As to what cooker is best for YOU, in my opinion there is no one better than YOU to decide that. After 25ish years, and having spent way to much $$ myself trying to figure out what is going to best meet MY needs and THOSE I cook for... I have found the pellet/kettle combo to be the best for how I cook. I also have a large outdoor griddle that sees a ton of use.

So, to you and your needs.
-What does your new cooker budget look like?
-How many people do you cook for on a regular basis?
-Do you enjoy entertaining, and if yes, how many mouths do you need to be able to feed at once?
-What types of foods do you think you’ll be cooking most often and what style of cooking do you think you’ll be doing most often (low n slow or grilling).
-Do you have kids? Do you have a busy lifestyle? Do you enjoy the process of starting/maintaining a live fire... or are you more a set it and forget it kind of guy?
-Do you enjoy a heavier smoke profile or a lighter smoke profile?
-What type of weather climate do you live in?
-Are you only looking for an all-in-one cooker, or are you open to having 2 cookers... 1 being strong at smoking and the other grilling?

I honestly think you’ll get better and more accurate feedback as we get to know you and your specific situation :)

Old 10-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #37
Sergdman
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
My thoughts. In your original post, you mentioned that you are 39 and just now starting to get serious about grilling. As to what cooker is best for YOU, in my opinion there is no one better than YOU to decide that. After 25ish years, and having spent way to much $$ myself trying to figure out what is going to best meet MY needs and THOSE I cook for... I have found the pellet/kettle combo to be the best for how I cook. I also have a large outdoor griddle that sees a ton of use.

So, to you and your needs.
-What does your new cooker budget look like?
-How many people do you cook for on a regular basis?
-Do you enjoy entertaining, and if yes, how many mouths do you need to be able to feed at once?
-What types of foods do you think you’ll be cooking most often and what style of cooking do you think you’ll be doing most often (low n slow or grilling).
-Do you have kids? Do you have a busy lifestyle? Do you enjoy the process of starting/maintaining a live fire... or are you more a set it and forget it kind of guy?
-Do you enjoy a heavier smoke profile or a lighter smoke profile?
-What type of weather climate do you live in?
-Are you only looking for an all-in-one cooker, or are you open to having 2 cookers... 1 being strong at smoking and the other grilling?

I honestly think you’ll get better and more accurate feedback as we get to know you and your specific situation :)
Thanks for your thoughts. I am willing to spend the $1500 at this point for what I thought was the decision between the KJ big joe or the Webber Summit Cart. I will probably be using grilling mostly, at least at this time since I am knew to anything else. I want to start smoking as I never have. But I look forward to smoking beef ribs specially. I will be wanting to explore into pizza and bread. Family of five 3 young kids and entertain once and a while. Winter months here in NJ. I wanted to try to keep my Gad grill and the additional cooker I am looking for. I already have a three burner camp out there. Don’t want it to crowded. I think it harder since I’m looking for the best that does all.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:31 AM   #38
rwalters

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I am willing to spend the $1500 at this point for what I thought was the decision between the KJ big joe or the Webber Summit Cart. I will probably be using grilling mostly, at least at this time since I am knew to anything else. I want to start smoking as I never have. But I look forward to smoking beef ribs specially. I will be wanting to explore into pizza and bread. Family of five 3 young kids and entertain once and a while. Winter months here in NJ. I wanted to try to keep my Gad grill and the additional cooker I am looking for. I already have a three burner camp out there. Don’t want it to crowded. I think it harder since I’m looking for the best that does all.

I hear ya! The all-in-one cooker is kinda like chasing after the end of the rainbow. You can find a cooker that does everything, but is not necessarily the BEST at everything. As a busy dad/husband myself, I find my setup to be the best I have ever had for my needs. With 3 little ones and a wife, my guess is that you have your hands pretty full as well. I’d strongly encourage you to also take that into consideration as the last thing you want is a cooker that you don’t have time to use as often as the mood strikes. If you are really stuck on finding one cooker that can go from low n slow to hot grilling, than yes, a kamado will do that. So will some of the pellet grills. Before you take the leap, again, I really encourage to think through how you’ll be using it, what types of things you’ll most often be cooking, the amount of time you have available to spend with your new cooker... especially during long cooks and whether you want to work with a live fire or just flip a switch. I love both, but 9 out of 10 times I find myself flipping a switch. If your heart is set on charcoal and the kamado experience, then by all means go for it! Kamado’s are a blast to cook on :)

Old 10-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #39
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

I used to be a big fan of ceramic cookers. Now, my XL BGE is mostly a very expensive charcoal grill (that hardly ever get's used).

For $1500 I'd buy a Rec Tec RT-700 and and Weber Kettle 26". There isn't much a person can't do with your gasser, a good pellet cooker, and a kettle.
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #40
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is no Swiss Army knife of cookers, that being said, a pellet grill with a direct sear option probably comes as close as your gonna get...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)

Last edited by 4ever3; 10-14-2019 at 11:04 AM..
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #41
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
I used to be a big fan of ceramic cookers. Now, my XL BGE is mostly a very expensive charcoal grill (that hardly ever get's used).

For $1500 I'd buy a Rec Tec RT-700 and and Weber Kettle 26". There isn't much a person can't do with your gasser, a good pellet cooker, and a kettle.
This (see above) is great advice and sort of gets you to the end of the Unicorn hunt without the expensive road to get there.

The journey for some will end with a UDS, Kamado, Kettle, or Pellet Smoker or most likely a collection of various cookers. The search for the perfect cooker (or Unicorn) is a verified sickness on this board and as a wise pit-master once told me, "The struggle is real".

For me, if I had known then (back when I didn't have any experience with smoking and equipment) what I know now, I might not have gone through various propane gassers, a couple BGE's, a propane smoker, multiple Traegers, multiple kettles, a couple of Akorns, several Traegers, a UDS, 2 WSM's, each of the 3 GMG's, a Cookshack Smokette, and Po'man grill (this was gift from my wife brought about by an instigator here that shall remain nameless).

I currently have a 26" Kettle, a GMG Davy Crockett, and Mak 1-Star and with this equipment, I have the versatility to grill or smoke just about anything for big gatherings or cooking for a treat just for me. The only piece of equipment I'm looking to get nowadays is the Mini- Mak, if it is every released and this will replace my GMG Davy Crockett. (I like small cookers because I often just cook for 2 of us).

Keeping in mind that you're just getting into the hobby and you don't know what you don't know, I'd have a difficult time dropping $1,500 on a single piece of equipment. Perhaps, take your time, get a used Trager on CL for around $250 to try out a pellet smoker. If you like it, keep it or get a higher end pellet smoker. If you don't like it, you can always sell it for what you bought it for. Used Kamados are much difficult to find, but they do pop up once in awhile. The safest bet is to get a 26" Kettle and learn to smoke on that for now and even see if you like smoking food. You can build from there and always keep the 26" for grilling.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #42
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
This (see above) is great advice and sort of gets you to the end of the Unicorn hunt without the expensive road to get there.

The journey for some will end with a UDS, Kamado, Kettle, or Pellet Smoker or most likely a collection of various cookers. The search for the perfect cooker (or Unicorn) is a verified sickness on this board and as a wise pit-master once told me, "The struggle is real".

For me, if I had known then (back when I didn't have any experience with smoking and equipment) what I know now, I might not have gone through various propane gassers, a couple BGE's, a propane smoker, multiple Traegers, multiple kettles, a couple of Akorns, several Traegers, a UDS, 2 WSM's, each of the 3 GMG's, a Cookshack Smokette, and Po'man grill (this was gift from my wife brought about by an instigator here that shall remain nameless).

I currently have a 26" Kettle, a GMG Davy Crockett, and Mak 1-Star and with this equipment, I have the versatility to grill or smoke just about anything for big gatherings or cooking for a treat just for me. The only piece of equipment I'm looking to get nowadays is the Mini- Mak, if it is every released and this will replace my GMG Davy Crockett. (I like small cookers because I often just cook for 2 of us).

Keeping in mind that you're just getting into the hobby and you don't know what you don't know, I'd have a difficult time dropping $1,500 on a single piece of equipment. Perhaps, take your time, get a used Trager on CL for around $250 to try out a pellet smoker. If you like it, keep it or get a higher end pellet smoker. If you don't like it, you can always sell it for what you bought it for. Used Kamados are much difficult to find, but they do pop up once in awhile. The safest bet is to get a 26" Kettle and learn to smoke on that for now and even see if you like smoking food. You can build from there and always keep the 26" for grilling.

Sage advice! :)

Old 10-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #43
redhawk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

For $850 I would get a Weber Performer and a 22 WSM. Best of both worlds for 1/2 the cost.
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #44
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

^This.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #45
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

Unless I am cooking for a large gathering, I can do anything I need on the 26" Kettle. The big daddy insulated Weber is on my wish list though.