Chili Help?

I saw a video posted on the last chili thread a couple weeks ago, where a guy used a Mexican round chocolate at the end of his recipe. I am going to try and find some of that for my next pot.

If it calls for water instead use coffee-tea-stock or beer
If in a no bean zone and you like beans add Frito Bean Dip (background Bean taste none visible)
If in a no Veggies zone-puréed Veggies will disappear
Want sweet accent but no sugar- smoke carrots and purée
Dump juice from can of Rotel and purée till smooth
I often baptize my chili with 2 Tequila Shots. One in Pot one in me (thanks cowgirl)

If this is a friendly competition you can do whatever you want to create.

IMHO there’s no one right way to cook chili-but there are a few wrong.

Last edited:
just look for a consistent bite (spoon full)
I normally use 1/2 ground sirloin 1/2 skirt steak for my meat and add cumin and chili powder every time I stir

I have really been into New Mexico Chile Powder lately. Using about 3 tablespoons per pound of meat. My favorite chilis have a mix of some ground meat and whole/cubed meat. I like ground sirloin and chuck plus a cubed pork tenderloin. And almost always add some corn masa to tighten it up and for flavor at the end.

And beans are totally cool. Chili always has been a fruit-based dish, and seeing as how beans are the musical fruit . . .

I once got "volunteered" for a contest that I did not want to go to. So I bought canned chili from the grocery store, just to meet my commitment. Got third place... :-o

I guess they spend a lot of money on taste testing for the masses.

So, it begs the question:
With Beans? Or Without? :laugh:

Ducks... Runs....

Have had beanless chili and it's been very good.

I happen to like beans in chili and have never made it without them. I like the texture they add. Same with non-sauteed onions and peppers...they add a satisfying bit of crunch.

Also think it odd many insist on putting chili powder in chili. It's not necessary IMO. To me, it makes chili taste more like tacos.

GO BEANS! :deadhorse:

Have had beanless chili and it's been very good.

I happen to like beans in chili and have never made it without them. I like the texture they add. Same with non-sauteed onions and peppers...they add a satisfying bit of crunch.

Also think it odd many insist on putting chili powder in chili. It's not necessary IMO. To me, it makes chili taste more like tacos.

GO BEANS! :deadhorse:

See what I mean SS! Spoken by a True yankee! A very nice yankee to be sure but...... :tsk:

I like beans, too.

Simpsons-Beans-the-Musical-Fruit2.jpg

I like beans in chili personally, authentic or not. I also add chipotle in adobo for some heat and spice.

Beans, beans the musical fruit.
The more you eat the more you toot,
The more you toot the better you feel.
So eat your beans at every meal.

I use beans, and 3 different color bell peppers and plenty of chili powders, preferably 2 or 3 varieties of chili powder... I also swear by the use of white pepper for the heat it is subtle but definitely there and keeps em coming back.The other ingredients are the typical ones posted here... I mentioned the 3 colors of peppers because the look great.

One year I won the NM state championship chili cook off held the week before Terilinga. All the big dogs attend. A CSAI judge ask me to post my recipe and the web site as he said it was one of the best he ever had.

I posted it but left out the one ingredient that made it so special.

LOL I have been away for a while and was just reading through some posts and dreaming of my smokers, when I ran across this post. So glad to see my CHili is still being passed around.

I use this recipe the other night for chili. I loosely made patties out of the sausage and beef and put them in the smoker for 30 minutes, then broke them up into crumbles for another 30. After I mixed up the pot of veggies/sauce I put it back into the smoker to simmer. We loved it. She took some for lunch the next day, and that night we had it over some tot's for dinner.

I did a half recipe or else the big stock put would have needed to come out.

Back