MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
bdadams84
Knows what a fatty is.

Default LSG Offset Cabinet

I'm looking to purchase my first stick burner. I am currently very interested in the Lone Star Grillz 30" offset cabinet smoker. I know this is a newer model and has been around for about a year now. That being the case for y'all who have them what do y'all think?

I've noticed that everyone raves about the build quality. I do wonder for the cabinets specifically, how evenly can you get them to cook with the tuning plates? If I were to do a hot cook at 325 or 350 for let's say a turkey cook, would the falanged doors bind at all at the higher temperatures?

Any one have any other recommendations in the same class of smoker? I do want a 1/4" steel minimum for the cook chamber. I really don't care if it's a horizontal or vertical style cooker. I'm really just starting serious research now. I'll probably budget $3000-3500 for everything to include shipping. I'm not in a rush as this will be a graduation gift to myself at the end of this year.

“How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?” ~Dr. Seuss

Last edited by bdadams84; 01-15-2019 at 09:10 PM..
bdadams84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
ToOTHroTT
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I dont really know about there offset cabinets but I do own there 20X42 offset. The thing is built like a tank and holds steady temps across both upper and lower grates. I get about 75 degree between the top and bottom grate which is nice if I want to cook at 2 different temps. The nice thing about the new 20" series that I liked is no baffle plates to mess with. I know its not a cabinet style but something to think about.
ToOTHroTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

I can't exactly answer your questions but the LSG offset cabinets are great looking smokers and I'm considering ordering one as well. I keep looking at other pits and I always end up back to the LSG. If you haven't already, you should join the Lonestar Grillz Owners & Fan Club on Facebook. I know a few people there use the cabinets and will be able to help with your questions.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

When I purchased my LSG offset with warmer the offset cabinet models were not an option. If I was doing it over today I would strongly consider a cabinet model for the increased capacity with the same foot print, plus a warmer would not be necessary.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Dinkle
On the road to being a farker

I have had my lsg offset for 5 years and run it at 350 every Christmas and Thanksgiving for turkeys. Nothing will warp or bind. The only thing that has happened to my pit is paint flaking from the firebox but I have the 1/2 thick box . He guaranteed me the box wouldn't trust through for 100 years.
Dinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
bdadams84
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToOTHroTT View Post
I dont really know about there offset cabinets but I do own there 20X42 offset. The thing is built like a tank and holds steady temps across both upper and lower grates. I get about 75 degree between the top and bottom grate which is nice if I want to cook at 2 different temps. The nice thing about the new 20" series that I liked is no baffle plates to mess with. I know its not a cabinet style but something to think about.

My only real issue with the 20" series is that it is thinner steel. It's 3/16" compared to 1/4". Plus I wouldn't have the same capacity. Granted it would probably handle 90% of the cooks I do, I rather have a little extra space. They do look like great cookers. I've seen some of the reviews on YouTube. Plus I like the ide of the tuning plates. Yes they're more work, but they provide flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkle View Post
I have had my lsg offset for 5 years and run it at 350 every Christmas and Thanksgiving for turkeys. Nothing will warp or bind. The only thing that has happened to my pit is paint flaking from the firebox but I have the 1/2 thick box . He guaranteed me the box wouldn't trust through for 100 years.

Yep I do plan to get the 1/2" fire box mainly for the reason of longevity. If or when it starts to peal it'll be easy enough to sand down and repaint with high temp paint. And thank you. I was a bit concerned about binding as the metal expanded because it looks like LSG's moving parts fit pretty snug as is. I'm glad to know these cookers will do fine at the higher temps.

“How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?” ~Dr. Seuss

Last edited by bdadams84; 01-16-2019 at 01:22 PM..
bdadams84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

There are many really super pits and pit builders. LSG is one of them. Go for it. I love mine.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lone star grillz, LSG, offset