Bacon/ham 1st attempt

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Bought a hog with a fellow from work and decided to try my hand at making bacon and a ham for the first time. Here's a few pics from right after I removed to ham and bacon from the curing steps. Now off to the smokers. Trying to keep the bacon smoker (WSM) at 100 degrees is going to be fun. Ended up using a coffee can. Will post pics when finished. I can see babysitting this all day.
thanksgiving038.jpg

thanksgiving036.jpg

thanksgiving037.jpg

OOhhhhh - looking forward to following this thread.

I just Googled "How to cure bacon". Pretty simple actually. Salt,cure and some maple syrup and into the fridge for a week turning everyday. Take out rinse and smoke.

Finished pics of the bacon and ham. Haven't tried the ham yet but the bacon is off the hook. No more storebought for me. Brushed the ham with mustard,o.j. and honey.
thanksgiving044.jpg

thanksgiving043.jpg

thanksgiving042.jpg

Actually keeping the temp at 100 degrees for smoking the bacon was easy. I took a one pound coffee can and added about eight lit briquettes and some small pieces of apple and cherry and just kept adding every forty-five minutes for about six hours in the WSM. Well worth the time and effort.

Last edited:
Homemade bacon is great. Thanks for the coffee can idea, always had a problem maintain that low of a temp.

Back