Best commercial smoker

Valhalla BBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi there. New restaurant/bar coming along. Going to do quite a bit of smoking. Mostly for pulled pork, beef, and chicken but will also do some briskets, ribs, brats, and baloney chub…etc. I’ve cooked my whole life on the bug cinder block pits shoveling coals. Unfortunately in this location I can’t have an open fire. So I’m looking to modernize my smoking lol. I’ve seen some like the J & R and Myron Mixon smokers. Are they worth the high cost or are you just paying for the name and there are others that are basically the same thing with a different name? Suggestions and personal experiences are greatly appreciated 🤘🏻🍺

Welcome to the Brethren! Congratulations on your restaurant! Very exciting news!

Souther Pride are another name brand that a lot of folks use.

Good luck!

Bruce

I've got a Southern Pride - though I don't have a restaurant or do catering (it's a long story...). I love it.

Compared to my backyard smokers it is way more than just the name (and way more $$$). My SP (SPX-300) can roll with a LOT of food without increasing cook time. If you use propane in addition to wood it will maintain temps automatically. I always use propane because it fires up the wood, but I've seen some people use wood only and it will work (but takes more effort on your part). The racks are on a rotisserie system so you don't have to worry about hot spots and food placement. There is a fan that automatically circulates the smoke during smoking, and a smoke extractor damper (upgrade) that kicks in to vent outside when you open the door to prevent a rush of smoke into your restaurant or your face!

The stainless steel racks (upgrade) fit in large restaurant sinks (>24" deep and >30" wide per section, not the smaller ones divided into 3 zones for wash, rinse, disinfect). We can put 2 per layer (front and back), so we fit all 12 racks in one sink to add degreaser and let it soak for a while for easy cleanup. Very easy to clean the main smoker with a pressure washer or hose and some degreaser. Bottom is angled to channel grease and water runoff down a drain that exits to the bottom and side of the smoker so you can use a 5-gallon bucket to catch. Circulation fan is easy to pull out and degrease (say once per month depending on how much you cook and how much creosote).

It really is all stainless. Mine stays outside unfortunately and no rust or anything. Still looks great.

I've never used an Ole Hickory so I can't compare. My guess is most commercial smokers have similar features.

I looked at a Myron Mixon MMS-750, which seems comparable to the SP-700. A few items, one it is $4.5K more ($32K versus SPK-500 $27.5K). It's a powder coat paint finish versus stainless steel on the outside (the cook chamber inside is stainless steel for both). MMS uses a waterpan - which is sort of a MM thing. The MMS website spins not having a fan as a good feature (less maintenance), but that means the smoke doesn't circulate as much. Same cook area (sq inches of rack space) for both.

I didn't see an option for a smoke damper for the MMS, but the MMS website doesn't give you much info. The Southern Pride site gives you tons of info on everything. The MMS smokers site says "If you have questions, fill in the form or call." I don't like it when sites hide behind a form or call, but you may be OK with that.

Awesome stuff guys. I looked into the J & R Oyler but unfortunately I would have to rent a damn crane to get it off the truck lol. Looked into the Little Red Smokehouse as it’s smaller snd I really like the box insulation (coals can last a couple days) and minimal babysitting. Also looking at the suggested OleHickory and SouthernPride smokers. I’ve never smoked with gas or electrical smoker. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and go over prices.

Or if you want a pellet smoker, the Cookshack commercial smokers are great too.

From what I understand, the main difference between a southern pride and an ole hickory is that SP uses proprietary parts and ole hickory uses off the shelf parts, so when something inevitably breaks, the ole hickory is easier to fix.

True, when I had my Ole Hickory I could get any part online. The other difference is the direction the flame goes into the firebox and I do believe that Ole Hickory has the patent that.

First, Check what your Health Department/ code enforcement requires. Wood is tough to come by out in the desert here in AZ. We used Cookshack cookers when we had the restaurant. I loved the FEC 240, put out very good product.

This really depends on what you are looking for in your BBQ.

Do you want easy and willing to sacrifice flavor for gas assisted?

Do you want true wood smoked with no gas assist but large capacity?

Does it need to be NSF certified?

Do you want minimal moving parts that can fail over time?

There are "BESTS" in different categories.

I will mention our Big M Smokers if you are looking for the best in flavor profile, no gas assistance, ease of use, less moving parts, and built like a tank so it will last many years.

If you have any questions, please shoot me an email to travis@mgrills.com and we can see if our smokers will fit your needs.

https://mgrills.com/collections/commercial-smokers

Thanks everyone you were awesome... After about 4-5 hours of research, phone calls with different vendors, (and about a 5th of tequila to lessen the blow of the cost lol) I went with the recommendation on Southern Pride. And as BigDSmoking pointed it, it is a little more $$ but not the most expensive one by far and sticker prices are always negotiable lol. I went with this one (with the upgraded racks): https://www.southernpride.com/products/gas-smokers/sp-700
I went with this one not because of the story I found on the internet, but because they are only an hour away from me, stainless steel inside & out, some upgraded features, and tbh I was blown away by some of the examples of their customer service(again many of them may be because I'm so close lol).

I noticed that some of you were referencing the difference in Olehickory and Southern Pride because they were similar, well during my research I learned an interesting story... so enjoy lol. How much is true, who knows, it's the internet lol. Apparently original people from Southern Pride had a disagreement (I believe it was distributing areas or something) and split. Opened up OleHickory. As the story read, they apparently stole some patent plans/blue prints while on their way out the door, were sued, and lost 2-3 times. Supposedly the current models Olehickory are selling are basically Southern Pride models from 10-20 years back. I'm sure there are a ton more details but I wasn't about to go down and make it a Netflix rabbit hole hahaha

My short explanation...I can "taste" a Southern Pride...I don't get that same gas taste in an Ole Hickory. The Southern Pride gas smokers simply aren't as good...in "my" opinion.

I had someone try to argue with me that Southern Prides were superior because they had all stainless interiors & that an Ole Hickory would rust out...I didn't want to argue so I simply listened & thought to myself, "there is so much grease in a large commercial pit that you shouldn't ever see a speck of rust in one".

I'm an Ole Hickory guy when it comes to these gas assisted pits.

J&R comes out on top regardless.

My short explanation...I can "taste" a Southern Pride...I don't get that same gas taste in an Ole Hickory. The Southern Pride gas smokers simply aren't as good...in "my" opinion.

I had someone try to argue with me that Southern Prides were superior because they had all stainless interiors & that an Ole Hickory would rust out...I didn't want to argue so I simply listened & thought to myself, "there is so much grease in a large commercial pit that you shouldn't ever see a speck of rust in one".

I'm an Ole Hickory guy when it comes to these gas assisted pits.

J&R comes out on top regardless.

Agreed. I’m not a fan of the food that comes off a southern pride either. I can normally tell my the taste of the food that’s what they’re using. It is distinctive and not necessarily in a good way.
Ole Hickory or J&R would be what id choose if money was no issue

THE BBQ joint I work at part time had a Southern Pride and a Old Hickory. Parts were a problem with the SP so they sold it and bought a second Old Hickory. Such a ease to use and the Q is consistently good.

Anyway, congratulations on your new venture!

I have cooked thousands of racks in a commercial environment on a Southern Pride. Great cooker that is very low maintenance. Really the only thing you have to do besides normal cleaning is keep the fan clean to promote proper air circulation.

Back