MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Default Suggested bbq controller/thermometer?

What’s everyone suggest for a controller/thermometer that is currently on the market? Would like to pick one up for the gravity pit.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
Fishwater2002
Full Fledged Farker

I have the Thermoworks Smoke & never really liked it so I picked up the Fireboard 2 with drive. I don’t have the drive cable or fan but may buy it for my kettle. Fireboard is leaps & bounds better than my Smoke, haven’t used the Smoke in years thanks to the Fireboard.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater2002 View Post
I have the Thermoworks Smoke & never really liked it so I picked up the Fireboard 2 with drive. I don’t have the drive cable or fan but may buy it for my kettle. Fireboard is leaps & bounds better than my Smoke, haven’t used the Smoke in years thanks to the Fireboard.

LOL, funny. I was going to say I really like my Smoke X2 and Billows combo. I feel like the Billows is fairly new. But I've only gotten 4 or 5 cooks under my belt with it. A friend has it and has some troubles with it, but he hasn't tried the optional inlet baffle piece, which I use. I do think I go through more fuel, though I'm not sure why.

In any event, I can't unrecommend the Flame Boss enough. Complete garbage product. I went through a set of probes, which they replaced, and those went bad too. And then they told me it was too late, it'd been too long.

I probably had 10 or 12 cooks with it, maybe one successful.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
TwoWheeler
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater2002 View Post
I have the Thermoworks Smoke & never really liked it
Huh. I’m not using mine with a controller, but I like mine.

Maybe that’s because my previous one was a Maverick, with its weird UI - “Quickly press ‘Set’ with your right hand, while standing on one foot…”

My only complaint is that it occasionally gets stupid and stops talking to the remote.

Besides, Thermoworks sent me a new “kickstand” for mine for no charge after I broke it. (My fault)
TwoWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
cclinard1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chas

Fireboard2 Drive + BBQ Guru Pit Viper is what I'm using on my Limo Jr. Works great. The Fireboard interface/app is the best I've seen.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclinard1 View Post
Fireboard2 Drive + BBQ Guru Pit Viper is what I'm using on my Limo Jr. Works great. The Fireboard interface/app is the best I've seen.
I plan on using a Cyber Q with Bulldog fan to run my Jr. when it gets here. I'll just use it to run the pit though, I really like my Maverick XR 50 to monitor meat temp, because I like the little tabletop remote over looking at the CyberQ on my phone.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #7
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I'm using the FB2Drive with my Primo XL and MB560 and it works fantastic. I was using a CyberQ, but the FB2D gives way better temp control and a nice app that's easy, even for a cyber dummy like me. Lots of user control as well, so it's hard to go wrong. I also got some great tips on the Facebook page.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
Stagg3r
Got Wood.

I had a FB2Drive and a FB 20 cfm blower ready to go for my OCGS. Unfortunately, I never got to actually use it on that unit. Still waiting on the Limo Jr but I know it is going to be a whole lot of air for that chamber. I did a bunch of research and the FB2 just seemed like the best thought out and most up to date of the contolers. I couldn't find anything it's competition could do that it couldn't. You do need a 1" to 1.5" bushing for the OCGS IIRC.

Last edited by Stagg3r; 06-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Stagg3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #9
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Quote:
Same combo controller and fan, and same pit for me. More than pleased with its function.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
1Gradymaci

Name/Nickname : Jerry Adams

SmokeX2 for me
1Gradymaci is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:25 AM   #11
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I have the Digi Q Pit Bull from for my Meadowcreek BX 50, and I am really impressed with it. I will get another for my WSM 22.
Holds temp almost perfectly and has a system for phone control / info on cook. Not super expensive.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #12
JeffinNE

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Smoke X4 for me...really like it. Great range. Didn't want one using the cell phone. No need for a fan with the Shirley.
JeffinNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #13
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

I love my fireboard II. By far the best unit out of the dozen or so that I’ve owned in the past.

Ironside Smokers
BBQ team
Insulated vertical smoker
34" x 72" Custom Build "Slag"
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #14
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Did you have to get any kind of adaptor or anything to run a Guru fan with the Fireboard? I have a Cyber Q, but am looking at the Fireboard 2 drive just because I wouldn't have to plug it in. I already have a bulldog fan, and I hate to buy another fan just to switch controllers. If I can just plug the guru fan in, I might be in the market.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #15
darita
is One Chatty Farker

FB2Drive + Pit Viper. Very good UI and great temp control.