MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
laveen1
Knows what a fatty is.

Smile 1st ham - it came out GREAT, but

My first ham - 12 Lbs. fresh, 1/2 ham (skin on - shank end).
I cured it, smoked it, and baked it.

The cure:
Cured for 6 1/2 days @ 34 - 40 deg in a brining bag.
Water 256 oz. 8 Qts
Kosher salt 22.5 oz. 3 Cups
Brown Sugar 30.0 oz. 4 Cups (packed)
Prague powder 3.3 oz. 16 Tsp.

The smoke:
Webber 22 1/2 in. charcoal w/hickory chips. (Indirect heat walled off w/aluminum foil.) Large drip pan with water. 8 1/2 hours to an IT of 137.
The ham was too large to smoke with cut side down.
Temp control was a b^?@*!
At the grill 215 to 250.
At the dome 240 to 270.

The bake:
Next day 4 1/2 hrs @ 350 to an IT of 158.
Scored (full length) and inserted cloves after about 2 hrs.
(I wonder if I should have waited another hour before scoring?

I ended up with about 7 lbs. of meat and a nice soup bone. I'm sure the skin and fat helped most of the meat stay moist. About an inch of the cut end was kind of dry, and had a black "skin" over it. The rest of it was very good. I had hoped it would come out even more moist, but no one complained. Four of us sat down and demolished 1/3+ of it in less than an hour. Now, two days later it's almost gone.

Questions:
Was the cure time and mixture OK?
What could have I done to protect the cut end from drying out?
What about the smoking temperatures?
Should I do the final bake longer at a lower temp?
Should I have let the smoker finish cooking the ham instead of finishing in the oven?
Any suggestions about temp control?

I would really appreciate any suggestions or comments. Luckily, there is a pig farm about 45 minutes away so I can get really fresh meat. I'm pleased this came out as well as it did, and will probably do more very soon. (The wife is wondering "MORE HAM?? What the h#!! are we are going to do with more ham?) Maybe I can freeze some and send to friends and relatives at the other end of the country.

FYI: For size comparison: The cutting board is 16 inches long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ham number 1 001.jpg (66.6 KB, 132 views)
laveen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for putting that up - curing a ham is something I've been wanting to do - probably will either for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Looking forward to hearing what folks have to say.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

nice work, did you use Prague powder #1 or #2?

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I've had one go at it. Came out OK, but didn't brine long enough or inject well enough.

Look for your first time that's a fine effort and you should be proud of the result!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
laveen1
Knows what a fatty is.

Crazy Harry asked: "did you use Prague powder #1 or #2?"
I used Prague powder #1. My understanding is that #2 should never be used with high heat (in excess of what temp??). True or false?

I just received a container of INST-A-CURE #1 from Sausagemaker. It's very pink, Prague #1 was not.
laveen1 is offline   Reply With Quote