The Safety Of Sous Vide-Did Caveman fear 🔥

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Interesting brief article re:Sous Vide cooking. I’m 12 hour SV’ing a choice boneless chuck, half for stew half for chili. Next stop- Pellet Cooker for a few hours. Or high heat grill quick. Not sure

Coffee

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-safe-is-sous-vide-cooking-229843

PS: it was set to 140* for overnight

Last edited:
I’m guessing I’ve had it 2-3 years?? It was a Christmas gift. It just doesn’t get used much. Usually the short daylight hours of winter. Probably have used it less than 20 times. But Im always pleased with the results. The chuck was seasoned with Worcestershire-mustard and Montreal Steak

I'm sure it's safe, but I just can't forget Microbiology lab. We worked so hard to maintain the proper temp and humidity.

This keeps popping into my head.
"Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire" Exodus 12:9

Disregard- Fail

Double zip lock bags with as much air as possible removed using dunking method. I placed plastic wrap over water about 95% to slow evaporation overnight. Worked great. However When I removed plastic exposing water it was murky water with air in both bags. Perhaps seams had separated slightly somewhere or maybe pilot error with the the zip? Maybe my wooden clothes pins? Red tag $6 chunk of chuck gone. I thought I was being very careful. I’ve come to accept kitchen failures are my fault- not meat and/or machines. Cooking Live.

Whataburger- yea that’s it. Green Chile double Whataburger kind of day.

Last edited:
Disregard- Fail

Double zip lock bags with as much air as possible removed using dunking method. I placed plastic wrap over water about 95% to slow evaporation overnight. Worked great. However When I removed plastic exposing water it was murky water with air in both bags. Perhaps seams had separated slightly somewhere or maybe pilot error with the the zip? Maybe my wooden clothes pins? Red tag $6 chunk of chuck gone. I thought I was being very careful. I’ve come to accept kitchen failures are my fault- not meat and/or machines. Cooking Live.

Whataburger- yea that’s it. Green Chile double Whataburger kind of day.
Sounds like my experiences in Microbiology lab. Something always happened, just not what I wanted. At least you're not graded on it.

Vacuum won’t stop the bio lab. For long, low temp SV you meet to salt the meat. Good for the meat and toxic to any microbes you care about.

On the bright side... Whataburgers aren't so bad. :-D

Personally I would not have been worried about the roast... I am not a fan of ziplocs for Sous Vide because they can/do fail. I only used ziplocs for short duration cooks such as chicken breast and now I only use my vac sealer bags. Your addition of Worcestershire-Mustard and Montreal Steak was a first line of defense.

I got lazy. I have a Foodsaver. I’ve never used SV over 4 hours that I recall, and never an issue. I read up and a site recommended two zip locks for extended SV if not vac sealed. . I could’ve and should have done things differently.

Pilot error.

SV a piece of meat at 120 overnight and you'll have to add some sort of anti-microbial agent (salt).

I'm definitely a novice at the whole SV thing, but just about every SV site will have recipes calling for 12, 18, 24, 36 and/or 48 hour cooks at 129 degrees without the addition of salt. And I'm not talking about recipes from average contributors, but from expert "chefs" with a tremendous knowledge of food safety.

Back