MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Default Prime rib: Finish with sear, or no sear?

I’ve never cooked prime rib. Never had any I like anywhere near as much as a ribeye steak, but going to give it a go this year.

Our own Baby Back Maniac put out a great video. No sear. just took to it 130* on low-ish heat. Looked good.

Others sear as a final step to get the crust. Looks good, too. What do you say? Direct high heat to finish, or no?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I vote sear, but also prefer steaks. More crust, equals more flavor.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
JRDINCC
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Duke

Reverse sear for me.
Always turns out good.
JRDINCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #4
ArnieTex
Full Fledged Farker

Sear first or sear last but always sear for me, there's nothing like that wonderful char flavor and crusty goodness.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

I think it depends what temperature you are cooking at. If you are cooking it at a higher temp then searing at the end won't be needed and you will already have the crust. If cooking low then yea sear at the end. I normally cook prime ribs roasts hotter. I like them more with the bulls eye middle then i do red from edge to edge. I find the fat breaks down better and makes it much more enjoyable. You can still pull with the middle being rare/med rare.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:01 AM   #6
sssSmoking
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmountz94 View Post
I think it depends what temperature you are cooking at. If you are cooking it at a higher temp then searing at the end won't be needed and you will already have the crust. If cooking low then yea sear at the end. I normally cook prime ribs roasts hotter. I like them more with the bulls eye middle then i do red from edge to edge. I find the fat breaks down better and makes it much more enjoyable. You can still pull with the middle being rare/med rare.
So what is your grill temp?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I do the herb crusted prime rib recipe from TVWBB, so there is no need to sear as the herbs are all perfectly crispy when done. Searing would ruin that flavor. I cook it at 325-350°.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I do an indirect cook on the Egg and then about 20 min later a real hot sear I believe Ron_L has a really good post on this as does Gore
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
barrettd
On the road to being a farker

I used Serious Eats prime rib recipe (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ef-recipe.html) as a guideline, but did the low smoking on my pellet grill. Finished in the oven as Kenji does in that recipe. It was delicious and the sear at the end is foolproof using a very hot oven.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssSmoking View Post
So what is your grill temp?
325-350. If you aren't happy with the crust towards the end of cook open the vents wide open and get it hotter for the last 10-15mins. Keeping it indirect though. I agree with the above post that direct searing usually wrecks the herb crust and most recipes have herbs. You could also pull a few degrees from desired temp get grill screaming hot and then put on for another few minutes. My experience is that indirect searing with prime rib works the best

Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Spot on. BBM did his at 300ish which will naturally develop a crust. I prefer the consistent edge to edge color, so I do mine at 250 or lower. To develop a crust and keep that edge to edge color, pull the PR and let it sit for a bit, then throw it into a high heat enviroment for a few minutes. Either an smoker, oven, grill or hot pan.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
325-350. If you aren't happy with the crust towards the end of cook open the vents wide open and get it hotter for the last 10-15mins. Keeping it indirect though. I agree with the above post that direct searing usually wrecks the herb crust and most recipes have herbs. You could also pull a few degrees from desired temp get grill screaming hot and then put on for another few minutes. My experience is that indirect searing with prime rib works the best
This seems like a really good point. So, then I wonder how important herbs are for the prime rib rub...if we’re talking the benefit of herbs vs. the benefit of a great sear

Old 12-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
gtr

I normally cook at a really low temp like 200 and reverse sear, but there has been a time or 2 I've looked at the roast when it was about done and decided it was good just like it was and didn't do the sear. So basically - yeah, reverse sear, but if it looks good, don't fix what ain't broke.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

^^^Amen... "don't fix what ain't broke"...
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
funugy
Take a breath!

We like the crust on ours. I cook mine at a low temp on my UDS. I always sear at the end, but that means lighting my kettle, which normally isn't a problem, unless I get side tracked and forget to get it going in time...or I just get too lazy.

If I'm in a hurry, or just too lazy and the oven is in use with the myriad of sides/desserts, I just use my propane torch to crisp up the outside.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote