MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #46
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
You have a lot of negative things to say about a rub you haven't even used yet. It would be much more useful to everyone here for you to actually use it first, and THEN come on here and trash talk if you're not satisfied with the authenticity of the results. Until then, it just comes off as mean spirited noise.
I use sugar in my jerk rub as well. I guess that's something else I can disagree with that guy on.

I need to get me some that that Jah Love...I like mine alot, but I don't mind using other's stuff too.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #47
Sillius Sodus
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
I use sugar in my jerk rub as well. I guess that's something else I can disagree with that guy on.
That guy?

Sugar in a rub is one thing. As a first ingredient in an “authentic” Jamaican jerk rub? No. But then again, you also postulated that jerk didn’t come from Jamaica, so, par for the course...

And btw, I’ve my answer to KCM. I’ll take photos at the cook before I reply though.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #48
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillius Sodus View Post
That guy?

Sugar in a rub is one thing. As a first ingredient in an “authentic” Jamaican jerk rub? No. But then again, you also postulated that jerk didn’t come from Jamaica, so, par for the course...

And btw, I’ve my answer to KCM. I’ll take photos at the cook before I reply though.
Only stated that there are those that feel jerk originated with various Caribbean & Central American natives. Nothing more. It obviously was refined in Jamaica & certainly was made popular there.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #49
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

What I have gathered from this thread is that Sillius has some strong opinions that he backs up with fancy words like "postulated" which leads me to believe that he could be on to something. However, if you choose to go down the fancy word road you can't make mistakes like saying "mute point". The only thing that really matters is that I have tried Jah Love and I thought it was very tasty. Haven't tried WW, but I will most certainly give it a shot before I talk about how it is no good.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #50
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

When you use mute to try to communicate that something is moot, the best thing might be to remain mute, otherwise many will consider your point moot. And to stay on topic, I'm ordering some Jah Love today to give it a try.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #51
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

My My My ..... all this bickering .... just caused me to go down and grab a bottle of WW and am looking for Jah Love to give both a try. Who gives a rats about all that other stuff? Thanks for heads up on both sauces/marinades ....
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #52
One Drop
On the road to being a farker

Yeah, it's a meat point if we are talking about two different things, and mixing them up.

That's why I mentioned good vs. authentic . Can you imagine how differently this thread might have gone if we were talking about Texas brisket, and some people started talking about adding sugar and sweet sauce to it?

The one thing I've learned from a near lifetime of trying to learn to cook food from around the world is that you'll never make things properly (meaning authentically here) is to first fund out how things are supposed to taste, and what the basic taste expectations and preferences are in different regions and cultures. It us usually a revelation when you first have 'the real thing', whatever it may be. It might seem unusual or outrageously different than what you are used to, but it usually makes perfect sense and is usually so much bette than the hybrids and watered down versions that end up pan your plate outside of the region the food came from or is commonly eaten.

I remember when Thai food hit in the west, people would try and cook it and b^never get it right, nowhere near. They just couldn't get their head around the basic sweet/hot/sour balance that most dishes rely on, and they never used enough sugar and fish sauce when called for, and of course, the ingredients were not readily available and if so, not fresh or anywhere near as good when harvested locally,

So when I see these Jerk recipes and videos of all kinds that stray far away from the real thing, I can usually guess if something will taste great or not, but I know it's Jerk only in the most roundabout way.

It's not that I'm a purist, it's just that I think you have to do something the right way before messing around with it if you really want to make something as good. It's also a matter of respect for the cuisine and the culture and place that it comes from.