MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #151
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Cajun View Post
My Ken Onion knife sharpener arrived today. I noticed that I did not have a threaded nut in the bottom for mounting. Maybe that is why they were cheaper. I don't have any intention to mount it, I just noticed that mounting point is not there.
Now that you mention it, neither does mine.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #152
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Purchased mine before the sale, and just inspected it. I don't see any mounting holes on the bottom. I looked pretty good. The manual claims it is there. I see what looks like a 1/4" threaded hole on the side of the front pulley. Not sure how that would even work, since that is the moving pulley, but I am wondering if they moved the mount point. Luckily, I wasn't planning on mounting it. Curious though, does anyone have one with a mounting hole in the bottom?
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #153
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

No mounting holes on mine
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #154
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
No mounting holes on mine
Mine is wrapped under the tree...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #155
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Mine is wrapped under the tree...

Well in a couple of weeks you will have a fun new toy. I am new to knife sharpening, but I find it to be a calming activity.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #156
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

No mounting hole here either. I am guessing it was a full blown design change that didn't get documented.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #157
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
No mounting hole here either. I am guessing it was a full blown design change that didn't get documented.
Or a mistake and that's why we got them so deeply discounted. not sending mine back though.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #158
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
I had mine shipped to my office and it came in today. Used it on something that might have been considered a knife in years past. It didn't magically turn it into a razor blade, but there was a noticeable difference.
If it didn't turn into a razor blade, you did something wrong. Every blade I've sharpened on the KO is shaving sharp, and that includes the POS freebie paring knives from the Farmer's Union.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #159
sliding_billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Or a mistake and that's why we got them so deeply discounted. not sending mine back though.

If I get a moment today, I will try to give them a call.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #160
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
If it didn't turn into a razor blade, you did something wrong. Every blade I've sharpened on the KO is shaving sharp, and that includes the POS freebie paring knives from the Farmer's Union.
I am 100% certain I have done a few things wrong on the first two knives I tried to sharpen. I have followed the instructions on the cardboard piece that came with mine. 20 degrees at medium speed for the number of passes it suggests. The second one I did was a cheap cook's knife. It did get pretty sharp, but the blade shape changed. I might have to pick up some knives from Goodwill to practice on so I don't mess up any knives that I actually plan on using.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #161
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I had mine shipped to my office and it came in today. Used it on something that might have been considered a knife in years past. It didn't magically turn it into a razor blade, but there was a noticeable difference. I've been irritated by some coworkers lately talking loudly on their speakerphones with their doors open, so it was nice to use a power tool at my desk as a little revenge.

Sounds like you didn't grind and hone long enough
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #162
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
I am 100% certain I have done a few things wrong on the first two knives I tried to sharpen. I have followed the instructions on the cardboard piece that came with mine. 20 degrees at medium speed for the number of passes it suggests. The second one I did was a cheap cook's knife. It did get pretty sharp, but the blade shape changed. I might have to pick up some knives from Goodwill to practice on so I don't mess up any knives that I actually plan on using.

I did the goodwill thing. I picked up 3 knives for $3.50. These are the ones I will practice on.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #163
sliding_billy

I got the info on the mounting holes. They are using different base plates now. See below.

The Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener is capable of being bench mounted using 1/4" 20 screws. You will place the screws into the “C” shaped cut-outs, located on the power base, with the head of the screw overlapping onto the plastic. The photos below show those “C” shaped locations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KO.jpg (13.7 KB, 117 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #164
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
I am 100% certain I have done a few things wrong on the first two knives I tried to sharpen. I have followed the instructions on the cardboard piece that came with mine. 20 degrees at medium speed for the number of passes it suggests. The second one I did was a cheap cook's knife. It did get pretty sharp, but the blade shape changed.
Critical thing missing from the above is getting to a burr on the edge of the knife. I did the same thing too when I got my KO..."sharpened" but didn't pay attention to getting a burr before moving on to the next stage of sharpening. Once I did that, there was a marked improvement in sharpness, because I was carrying the new profile all the way down to the tip. Read the manual closely, and watch the videos mentioned up above. You'll get some killer results!
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #165
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

I was able to catch the tail end of a sale on Dalstrong knives on Amazon. Between that and this sharpener I hope my knife needs are met for a while. Couldn't find a single knife at the local Goodwill though.