MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #91
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrynVegas View Post
Oh, very important, wear eye protection. I've cut splits on my chop saw and they just exploded.
Thanks, good point. I'll make sure to have eye protection on. I usually have my glasses on all the time anyways (near sighted).

Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #92
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

I'd rather see safety glasses over your regular glasses.
HarrynVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #93
cameraman
Babbling Farker

A bag of Zapps and a nice cold Abita is living large!
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #94
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I think if you split the "rounds" that you will like them better and they will dry out quicker. I would split them after cutting them into length. By the way, Jealous of your find! When I lived in Texas It was a hard decision whether to use pecan or mesquite when smoking my Briskets. My personal favorite was mesquite, but if I was feeding others at the trough, I would use pecan.

Blessings,
Omar

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #95
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
A bag of Zapps and a nice cold Abita is living large!
I've never tried either, like the names of them though! Sounds exciting.. the trip getting them etc.. I love going out of state for In & Out burger :)

Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #96
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
I think if you split the "rounds" that you will like them better and they will dry out quicker. I would split them after cutting them into length. By the way, Jealous of your find! When I lived in Texas It was a hard decision whether to use pecan or mesquite when smoking my Briskets. My personal favorite was mesquite, but if I was feeding others at the trough, I would use pecan.

Blessings,
Omar
I don't know how to split the wet rounds.. they don't split very well wet right? I got a hatchet today and harbor frieght for $11. I don't have a chopping stump or block though to sit it on.. any ideas what I could sit the wood on to chop it? This is all new to me.. cutting fire / smoking wood--axes included.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #97
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I have used an old axe or hatchet and set the round up on a piece of old RR tie or a large piece of 6 X 6 and then used a hand held sledge hammer to pound the axe/hatchet through the round. Really, anything will work except a chunk of concrete. Of course you want to use a axe/hatchet with a hammer head on one side.

Blessings,
Omar

Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #98
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
I have used an old axe or hatchet and set the round up on a piece of old RR tie or a large piece of 6 X 6 and then used a hand held sledge hammer to pound the axe/hatchet through the round. Really, anything will work except a chunk of concrete. Of course you want to use a axe/hatchet with a hammer head on one side.

Blessings,
Omar
That sounds good.. I'll find a large flat piece of hard wood that won't split easy to use as a base. I'll sharpen up the axe good and just sit it there like you say and hit with a sledgehammer. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #99
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrynVegas View Post
I'd rather see safety glasses over your regular glasses.
I'll pick up some thanks. Know of a good brand that are strong and have good optical quality? I've used some cheap plastic ones before.. they sucked.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #100
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
Yup. I am Adam. Lol

I cut it last fall and a put some chunks beside my coal stove to help dry them. I keep them there for 1 month. As I use them I add more.

I have hickory, apple, maple, cherry and oak that I cut on the farm.
Very nice, how thick do you cut your limb discs again? What diameter typically?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #101
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
That sounds good.. I'll find a large flat piece of hard wood that won't split easy to use as a base. I'll sharpen up the axe good and just sit it there like you say and hit with a sledgehammer. Thanks.
Your welcome! I probably did not need to put that last sentence in my post since you are from Oklahoma. My daughter ( born and raised in Texas) would need that advice though.

Blessings,
Omar

Old 03-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #102
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

Academy has there own branded wood now? All I ever see in there is the Western brand and I've had to return it due to being moldy. That on the right looks a lot like it.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #103
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC View Post
Academy has there own branded wood now? All I ever see in there is the Western brand and I've had to return it due to being moldy. That on the right looks a lot like it.
It's Western brand sold at Academy.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #104
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

If you are going the sledge hammer hatchet route, be sure to wear some safety glasses as you might get some metal shards flying through the air. Always good to wear safety glasses anyway when doing this type of work.

You might try cutting the rounds thinner. As I'm sure you have discovered, or perhaps soon will, pecan is a very dense and twisted wood that is hard to split.

Good luck and please be careful,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #105
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I'd let the rounds dry out for awhile as well. They'll split much easier that way.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote