MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I thought a miter saw had too high a risk of throwing chunks or the log? I'm almost certain I have seen that mentioned several times here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #17
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I thought a miter saw had too high a risk of throwing chunks or the log? I'm almost certain I have seen that mentioned several times here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah it jerked on me after a few cuts.. scary stuff. I normally clamp all wood down on the miter saw and just use one hand to push down the blade. I am thinking the chain saw with that jig peeps linked might be a safer way. Plus with that jig you can cut all the way to the end.. with the miter saw you're nuts if you wanna hold your hand inches from that blade.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
peeps

FWIW, I have never used one but saw a link in a previous thread and thought it looked neat.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
c farmer
Babbling Farker

I cut 2 inch chunks with a chain saw. Just have to be careful.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I usually just use an ax, but I'm lazy.

Usually, there's a friendly neighbor around who loves an excuse to get out his chainsaw. I had one of these.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

The safest way is to have someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #22
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Sawzall w/ an aggressive 9" wood blade.

All power tools are dangerous and must be respected and handled properly.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #23
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Yeah it jerked on me after a few cuts.. scary stuff. I normally clamp all wood down on the miter saw and just use one hand to push down the blade. I am thinking the chain saw with that jig peeps linked might be a safer way. Plus with that jig you can cut all the way to the end.. with the miter saw you're nuts if you wanna hold your hand inches from that blade.
You calling me crazy?

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #24
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I use a table saw.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #25
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A chop saw works fine. You just need to be careful. If you try to push the wood securely into both the fence and table at the same time, the wood will bind and you run the risk of kick back. I prefer using the table instead of the fence, but either will work. Pick one surface and put the flattest side to it. Hold it against that as you cut, you'll be fine.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #26
1buckie
Babbling Farker

I use a table saw.....carefully.....

I usually get 1/4 round for oak, then slowly run them thru the length, 5 or 6 cuts across one flat face.....then break those off with a maul & sledge, produces a split about baseball bat thick, 18 ~24" long.....
Then zipped thru the table saw taking off about 3" at a time, standing to the SIDE of the saw & letting it roll thru easy (most accidents are when things try to get pushed along) down to where there's maybe 6" left, then those get used like that or split by hand........

Sounds complicated, but goes real quick......apple box full of hardball size in 1/2 hour......

Chainsaw for the branches / logs cut from the plum & pecan in the yard, set in a "V" trough type holder, or just on the ground, if they're heavy enough to stay put while cutting............
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #27
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I want to use some of this split firewood, in chunk form with a minion cook. What is the safest way to secure the wood and to cut it? My BF has a sawzall but with a metal blade on it right now. I think securing it with a hand or foot is dangerous.
A sawsall with a pruning blade

will work. Use both hands to control it. If you don't feel comfortable holding pieces with your foot, one of these work great and has many other uses.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/8054746?wm...301476&veh=sem
A hand pruning saw also works great and, with a new house, is good to have.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:19 AM   #28
SoHappy
Full Fledged Farker

How about a Black & Decker Alligator 6" Electric Lopper. You can see one on the Home Depot website.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 AM   #29
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
How about a Black & Decker Alligator 6" Electric Lopper. You can see one on the Home Depot website.
Now this looks really safe! I can cut all of the split into chunks. With a miter/chop saw one wouldn't want to get his/her hand that close to the blade.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #30
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Loving Purchasing Pecan Wood in Bulk w/Photo

I started learning BBQ about 10 months ago using a Mini WSM. Since then, up until yesterday, I've always bought wood chunks by the bag at places such as Ace Hardware and Academy Sports.

Most of the time, the chunks are rather small and vary in size by quite a bit--usually end up with a lot of kindling sized pieces (about a 1/3rd of the bag usually).

I got tired of this and sought out on Craigslist some pecan wood in bulk, so I could buy it and chop it up according to my liking.

I found a guy selling 1 rick of pecan wood for $55, or $30 for half of a rick. Started a thread on it and got a lot of help thanks guys! Anyways I picked it up today--all we could fit in the little wagon was 1/2 a rick.

It was quite a drive there--about an hour each way, so it cost around $10 in gas. So that brings the total cost to about $40 for this 1/2 of a rick (4 foot x 4 foot x 1.5 feet deep).

I am going to be able to get some nice chunks out of this wood and look forward to cooking with it.

I did a little bit of math and realized just how much I am saving by going this route instead of buy wood chunks by the bag.

This 1/2 rick I bought is 24 cubic feet in volume. The other day I spent $4.99 at Academy Sports for a bag of pecan wood--1/3rd of a cubic foot per bag; with tax that is around $5.50 a bag. So I'd have to purchase 72 of these bags of pecan wood at Academy to equal the same amount of wood I got in this half a rick. 72 bags times $5.50 a bag is $396 dollars! I got this 1/2 rick for $40 dollars, soooooo the my smoking wood costs have now been cut by 90%!! -- 1/10th the cost!

So this is why I am LOVING this!

Now I just have to buy a small axe to split the wood once more (in most cases) and find a very safe way to cross cut the wood into 3 inch long chunks. I am considering getting the Black & Decker Aligator (thanks for the tip in the other thread!)

Hrmm.. if I only use this wood for wood chunks in a charcoal minion fire, this 1/2 rick should last me years... Hope it is good for that long! Gonna keep it off the ground and out of the rain--along with good airflow.

EDIT: After reading a bit in other threads, it appears that this wood will probably lose a lot of its flavor after 18 months. I suppose at that time I can turn the leftovers into lump. Or to use it up faster maybe when I BBQ with my WSM, I can build a minion charcoal fire with around 50% or more pecan chunks instead of the typical 3 or 4 chunks thrown in just for smoke. Either that or buy an offset or build a cob oven. I think my goal will be to buy and use up 1/2 rick of this pecan each year, having fresh wood each year.

Last edited by bbqgeekess; 03-17-2014 at 05:05 AM..
bbqgeekess is offline   Reply With Quote